Sing along to Gilbert and Sullivan favourites
- Credit: Archant
Former members of a long-running Gilbert and Sullivan society are encouraged to take part in a 'come and sing' event this weekend.
It will feature Pirates of Penzance songs and is being held by the Sheringham Savoyards at St Andrew's Methodist Church, Sheringham, on Saturday, March 23 at 7.30pm.
The theatre group has decided to call it a day this year after falling membership, particularly men, has made it difficult to stage the popular Victorian operas.
A final farewell concert of HMS Pinafore will be performed at Sheringham Little Theatre on June 20 and 21 at 7.30pm.
The show was the society's first ever production.
You may also want to watch:
It will be produced by committee member Jason Bell, Ro Curtis, who played Josephine in 1979, will be musical director and Lester Shaw will be the accompanist.
Mr Bell said a drive for new members had not been met with any success, so the society made the difficult decision to stop in the summer.
- 1 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 2 New Sunday market to feature street food, music and crafters
- 3 Refusal recommended for firm's shipping container
- 4 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 5 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 6 Tributes paid to Lord Robert Walpole who has died aged 82
- 7 Own a piece of paradise: One acre willow plantation for sale
- 8 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 9 Princess Anne pays flying visit to historic Broads' boatyard
- 10 45,000 sign petition to save harbour railway
President and founder chairman Alan Stables said: 'It is sad, but we have a lot of achievements to look back on.'
The society has regularly staged an annual show and smaller concert since it formed in 1979.
Last year, however, it stopped doing both, mainly due to a lack of male singers.
But committee members were determined to come back stronger this year with a revamped programme.
They had planned to carry out events at Overstrand and Ludham as well as in Sheringham.
It is hoped the swansong performance of Pinafore at the little theatre would attract a chorus of former members.
Anyone who would like to take part in Saturday's event and the final show should contact society secretary Kath Whiting on 01263 821185 or Jason Bell on 01263 822105.