Cast aims to rock the boat with Guys and Dolls youth musical
- Credit: Archant
Young performers are delving into a colourful, murky world of gambling, sinners and love as they rehearse a production of the classic musical Guys and Dolls.
The show, by the Sheringham Little Theatre Youth Musical group, will be staged from April 7-11.
A 30-strong cast, aged from eight to 17, is enjoying learning the lines, songs and dance moves for the show.
It is initially set on New York's Broadway and revolves around gambler Nathan Detroit's attempts to raise money to stage an illegal dice game.
To get the $1,000, Nathan - played by James Shorten - entices fellow gambler Sky Masterson - Caius Law - into a bet involving Sky having to take sinner-saving Mission leader Sarah Brown - Sophie Lewis - to Havana.
You may also want to watch:
The journey is full of gangsters, night club action, romance, jealousy, threats to the future of the Mission, dance routines and catchy songs such as Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat, and Luck be a Lady.
Show director Daisy Winchester is a qualified 22-year-old actor who is herself a veteran of the theatre's youth section, ranging from being in the panto aged just six to taking a leading role in Shakers last year.
- 1 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 4 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 7 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 8 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 9 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 10 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
She said was excited about this year's show, which would take the audience back to the days of the 1950s.
Ms Winchester said: "The show is set back in the 1950s, but the youngsters are loving it because of the glamour.
"A lot of them were in our previous production of Wind it the Willows, so it is quite a contrast."
Other key cast members include Anwyn Chapman as Nathan's long-standing fianceé Miss Adelaide, and Attia Law as Nathan's errand boy Nicely-Nicely Johnson.
Theatre director Debbie Thompson said: "Guys and Dolls is going to be a great show by our talented youngsters, who gain so much by getting involved in these Easter productions.
"Some, like Daisy, go on to become actors, others just gain self-confidence and valuable life skills."
Tickets for Guys and Dolls are £12 for adults and £8 for under-16s, and can be bought from the theatre's box office by phone 01263 822347, email firstname.lastname@example.org or online at the website www.sheringhamlittletheatre.com