Students take the stage for Mary Poppins musical
- Credit: Archant
The world's favourite nanny will be dropping in at Sheringham High School on March 15, when a cast of more than 100 students aged from 12 to 17 take the stage for a production of the spectacular musical Mary Poppins Junior.
Based on the Cameron Mackintosh show and the popular Disney film starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, the show tells the tale of troubled Mr Banks, his suffragette wife Winifred and their children Jane and Michael, whose lives are transformed when they employ the magical Mary Poppins as their new nanny.
The production will feature two casts of 50 students, who will take turns to perform during the show's three-night run.
Students and staff will be providing musical accompaniment, with Year 8 student Sienna Hughes and Year 10 Liam McKean taking charge of lighting and sound and head of music Iain Mitchell-Finnigan taking on the job of musical director.
Featuring classic singalong songs including Let's Go Fly a Kite, A Spoonful of Sugar, Chim Chim Cher-ee and the tongue-twisting Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, the show also includes dance numbers performed by a specially-formed troupe of students.
Sheringham High School head of drama Kate Nicol, who is directing and choreographing the show, said that after staging a successful production of The Jungle Book last year, the school was keen to bring back regular public performances.
'This year we have gone bigger and better, the cast has doubled in size and everyone has been incredibly dedicated,' she added. 'We have had three rehearsals a week for nine weeks and students have even agreed to come along during half term.'
- 1 First look inside: New deli and surf shop open on coast
- 2 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 3 Council urged to take over ownership of derelict Cromer nightclub
- 4 Norfolk singer's big hopes for her girl band's debut single
- 5 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 6 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 7 'Everything has gone up' - How mum Melanie is dealing with cost of living
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with string of cooking oil thefts
- 9 The Female Fisherman 'overwhelmed' by national award win
- 10 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
Twelve-year-old Honor Boughton, who will be sharing the role of Mary Poppins with Year 11 student Katie James, said: 'Mrs Banks was obviously a suffragette, so it is a good way to mark the 100th anniversary of women winning the right to vote.
Mary Poppins Jr will run at Sheringham High School at 7pm on March 15, 16 and 17, with a matinee performance at 2pm on March 17. Tickets, priced £5, are available from the school reception on 01263 822363.