Ryding high at North Walsham secondary school
- Credit: Andy Newman
Around 300 pupils at North Walsham High enjoyed a concert by an up and coming singer-songwriter at the school's Atrium.
Essex-born Tom Ryder performed a number of songs including his new single 'Here We Go Again', as well as sharing his own experiences of cyber bullying and exam pressures.
The 27-year-old described how the pressure to perform during his own schooldays led to bouts of insomnia, anxiety and depression.
He advised students to confide in parents teachers or friends if something was worrying them. 'You need to talk to someone about it. If you keep it within yourself, it will just grow,' he said.
Tom also shared a number of tips and strategies about staying safe online and avoiding cyber bullying, which he defines as using the internet to make people feel uncomfortable or threatened. He called on victims of such bullying not to respond or believe in what was being said about them, and to feel confident in who they are.
You may also want to watch:
'The internet and social media are great things; if I want to say something, I can get it out there,' he told the audience. 'But as soon as you put something up, it is out there. So before you share, make sure it's something that you're happy for people to see.'
The performance is part of a schools tour being undertaken by Tom to assure young people that anything is possible and that they need to not only work hard but also enjoy their time at school, rather than fearing it and being worried about the outcome of exams.
- 1 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 4 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 5 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 6 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 7 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
- 8 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 9 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 10 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
He described NWHS's Atrium auditorium as 'the nicest room I've played in so far in schools.'