Review: The Time Machine at The Auden Theatre, Holt
- Credit: Ben Guest
North Norfolk welcomed a 'topical and incisive reinvention' of H.G.Wells' dystopian classic 'The Time Machine' on Monday night.
Writer/director Elton Townend Jones, bringing the touring show to his home county, said: 'Having grown up in Norfolk and spent some of the happiest years of my life here whilst studying Performing Arts, I'm always delighted to bring my directorial work to this wonderful part of the world; and so I'm even happier to see 'The Time Machine' materialise at the Auden Theatre.'
Produced by Rebecca Vaughan and the critically acclaimed Dyad Productions (who recently staged their successful 'Orlando' at Norwich Playhouse) this was an absorbing reworking of a Victorian classic.
Stephen Cunningham excelled in the exhausting lead role, fluctuating convincingly between compassionate reason and the edge of madness; taking the receptive audience on a stylishly intense philosophical journey through time.
The plot, beautifully paced, was laden with foreboding as the Time Traveller revealed each new ominous discovery. The white set, punctuated only with a block step, was inventively lit; effectively determining and framing the grave new world. Excellent sound rounded out the piece.
At the close, the audience applauded and stood in praise of a superb performance. The only question was: If this is an allegory, is it the future - or the present?
Dyad Productions will return to the Auden Theatre in September with 'Orlando' featuring Rebecca Vaughan.
- 1 New car boot to take place monthly after early success
- 2 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 3 Will new lease mean a new surface for this pothole-riddled carpark?
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 6 Stunning 'Lady of the Wood' carved statue revealed at park
- 7 Norfolk train station features as 'pointless' answer on BBC TV show
- 8 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 9 Lifeboat rescues seasick crew on struggling 45ft cruiser
- 10 Spitfire to soar over north Norfolk for jubilee