Review: Stepping Out - The Musical at Sheringham Little Theatre
- Credit: Archant
Stepping out entertainingly into the limelight once again at Sheringham on Tuesday night was Cromer and Sheringham Operatic and Dramatic Society (CSODS) with this hugely enjoyable musical production, directed by Jackie Overton.
Written in the mid-1980s by playwright and TV screenwriter Richard Harris it follows a group of likeable misfits attending their weekly tap-dancing lesson. The group, led by the outwardly confident Mavis (Emma Galley), gradually reveal their foibles in a series of hilarious - and often touching - set pieces.
It's a well-paced, genuine ensemble piece with strong, enjoyable and likeable performances from the entire cast: Vera (Kerry Davis), Andy (Kate Rawlings), Geoffrey (Paul James), Sylvia (Angie Mansell), Maxine (Andrea Wilson), Lynne (Daisy Wilson), Rose (Maria Cutting), Dorothy (Nikki Green). Although unfair to pick out one performer from such a string of confident performances, Kat Tindall's terrific comic turn as fruit-munching pianist and professional grouch, Mrs Fraser, probably just nicks it. A lovely little cameo too from Paula Graver as Dancer.
The production benefited from deceptively simple but extremely effective set design (Nigel and Brenda Holmes), effortlessly converting the small stage from church hall to wine bar to tea shop and back again.
Musical arrangement by Andrew Grey was first class and Carole Beatty's imaginitive choreography gave a lie to the confined performance space. Lighting and costumes were spot on too.
You may also want to watch:
The show was warmly received by the sold-out audience and the finale was greeted with huge cheers. A fantastic show once again from CSODS; broad yet poignant, funny and heart-warming.
Stepping Out - The Musical runs until 19 October. Tickets priced at £15.00 and available online at sheringhamlittletheatre.com or by telephone on 01263 822347.
- 1 Sinkhole opens up on busy Sheringham junction
- 2 RNLI rescues woman stranded on boat in Blakeney
- 3 Replica of Only Fools and Horses van to go under the hammer
- 4 Plan to house Afghans at Holt Hall quashed
- 5 Volunteers pitch in to clean up pond
- 6 Pumpkin patch proves a Halloween hit at visitor farm
- 7 Hundreds pay tribute to Sheringham cobbler John Hart
- 8 Van driver seriously injured in collision with tractor
- 9 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?