You’ve never seen a train like this before! The Lights Express is coming to Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
One of Norfolk's heritage railways will steam its way through the festive season with a blaze of colour, music and pyrotechnics.
The North Norfolk Railway is planning to run a new after-dark Norfolk Lights Express on its Sheringham to Holt route in the lead-up to Christmas, in what promises to be the first-ever train service of its kind in East Anglia.
Hugh Harkett, the railway's managing director, said the lights express would be "not just an experience, but a show" and would complement their traditional daytime 'Santa Special' rides.
Mr Harkett said the sight of a steam train lit up for a trial run at 3am in June was "incredible".
He said: "The lighting and scenes along the track will, I am sure, make this a real trip to remember for our visitors of all ages. The train's external lights provide amazing technicolour effects for passengers as the train passes through the cuttings along the route."
You may also want to watch:
Passengers will be asked to arrive at Sheringham station early, where a 'ringmaster' decked out in costume and top hat will perform a song by Queen atop the footbridge before sparklers shoot out of his sleeves and thousands of bulbs light up the train all the colours of the rainbow.
The train will pass by illuminated festive scenes nestled in the rolling fields and woodland along the line, while the ringmaster will tell a festive story.
- 1 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 2 New Sunday market to feature street food, music and crafters
- 3 Refusal recommended for firm's shipping container
- 4 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 5 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 6 Own a piece of paradise: One acre willow plantation for sale
- 7 Tributes paid to Lord Robert Walpole who has died aged 82
- 8 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 9 Princess Anne pays flying visit to historic Broads' boatyard
- 10 45,000 sign petition to save harbour railway
Sheringham, Weybourne and Holt stations will be decorated with snow machines, glitter balls, Christmas trees.
Mr Harkett said he hoped the lights express would become a major tourist drawcard for Norfolk.
He said: "The idea is to attract people who are looking for something to do as a family and get into the Christmas spirit. It will be very much a theatrical experience.
"Nothing like this has been done in this part of the world before."
The lights express service will run from November 20 to December 23 and then from December 27 to 31, leaving at 4.30pm and 7.30pm.
For more information, visit www.nnrailway.co.uk.