North Norfolk food heroes are just champion
- Credit: Archant
North Norfolk's culinary heroes were among the leading lights at the EDP Norfolk Food and Drink Awards.
Back to the Garden at Letheringsett was named best independent food and drink retailer, while Morston Hall won the pride of Norfolk award at a ceremony at the Norfolk Showground on Monday.
About Morston Hall, the judges said: 'Over the last 20 years, Morston Hall and chef patron Galton Blackiston have helped to put north Norfolk on the national culinary map.
'This started with a Michelin star, but has moved beyond this as Galton's national media profile, cookery books and enthusiasm for all things Norfolk have had a very significant impact on the area by acting as a halo business that attracts people from across the UK to come to Norfolk and eat at his restaurant.
'Recently Galton has become the owner of a fish and chip shop in Cromer, and by using his passion for food and Norfolk the new venture has the chance of being as successful as Morston Hall remains today.'
You may also want to watch:
The judges who chose Back to the Garden as a winner said: 'It has developed a really special concept to the Norfolk market - growing produce, pulling it from the ground and putting it striaght on to the shelves, quite simply taking us back to the garden and reminding us of the importance of fabulous, honest food.'
Other local finalists included Truly Local at Stalham, Bread Source at Aylsham, Bakers and Larners of Holt, and Back to the Garden owner Delaval Astley, who was nominated as Norfolk food and drink hero.
- 1 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 2 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 3 Cromer: gang throw glass bottles at group near beach
- 4 Excitement as heritage railway's 1940s weekend returns
- 5 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 6 Town's new hopper bus 'well received'
- 7 'A kick in the teeth' - Sainsbury's staff angry at Boxing Day 'gift'
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 9 'Proud to be a Cromer fisherman' - Tributes paid to Norfolk stalwart
- 10 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer