Two north Norfolk starlets to light up the stage with professional ballet company
- Credit: Ben Garner
Two north Norfolk dancers will set the stage alight when they perform alongside professional dancers in a Norwich ballet.
Eleanor Blackburn and Megan Garrod both dream of careers in dance, and are off to a good start thanks to public auditions held by the English Youth Ballet.
The company auditions over 150 hopefuls in two auditions, before narrowing down the 100 best dancers aged eight to eighteen, before putting them through a rigorous training program.
Megan, 14, is from Cromer. She said 'I started dancing when I was 3 years old. I started because ever since I was little I was always prancing around. I am looking forward to dancing with English Youth Ballet because it will be a great experience of dancing with an actual company and being in a professional environment.
'In the future, I would like to become a professional dancer. I'd love to be on the West End or something like that.'
The girls will be performing in Cinderella in Hollywood at the Norwich Theatre Royal on May 25 and 26.
Eleanor, 14, from Hickling, added: 'I was 3 or 4 when I started dancing. Whenever my mum and dad used to put music on I used to always dance around.
- 1 First coastal road marathon in three decades hailed 'magnificent' success
- 2 Road closures in place for north Norfolk marathon
- 3 North Norfolk hotel named among most romantic and best small stays in UK
- 4 Holkham pub closes to drinkers to become hotel and restaurant
- 5 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 6 Hundreds visit new art gallery in Cromer in its first week
- 7 Couple about to leave north Norfolk fish and chip shop
- 8 VOTE NOW: Have your say on Norfolk's best fish and chips
- 9 'He inspires me' - Alice preps for marathon with her dad
- 10 Human rights monolith to be unveiled on village green
'I just love the experience of dancing with English Youth Ballet and I think it's amazing. The performances are amazing. 'I've danced with EYB before in Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake. In the future, I'd love to do something to do with dance – I'm not sure quite what yet.'
Rehearsals for the ballet are taking place at Sprowston Community High School.
Brazilian principal dancer Samantha Camejo will be dancing the leading role of Cinderella, as well as training the young cast in rehearsals.
The dancer, previously with the English National Ballet, said: 'The young dancers are treated just like the professionals in the rehearsals with EYB.
'They discover what having a dance career might be like - both in the studio and on the stage. It is an amazing experience for them.'
Cinderella in Hollywood will recieve its UK premiere on May 25 at the Norwich Theatre Royal.
For tickets call: 01603 630000 or visit: www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk.