Monty Python down at the pub
And now for something completely different down at the local pub.For regulars popping down for a pint at a popular Broads 'boozer' are bracing themselves to mingle with transvestite lumberjacks, bowler-hatted goose-stepping men from the Ministry of Silly Walks, idiots with knotted handkerchiefs on their heads, and Vikings tucking into pub grub of Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam - Spaaam, luvverly Spam.
And now for something completely different down at the local pub.
For regulars popping down for a pint at a popular Broads 'boozer' are bracing themselves to mingle with transvestite lumberjacks, bowler-hatted goose-stepping men from the Ministry of Silly Walks, idiots with knotted handkerchiefs on their heads, and Vikings tucking into pub grub of Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam - Spaaam, luvverly Spam.
Only people of a certain age will have a clue what is going on. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!
For it is a theme day and night celebrating the 1970s comic genius of Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Landlord at the Railway Tavern in Coltishall Dave Chisnell said it sprang out of the pub's regular Monday film nights - which saw it packed out for a showing of the Python movie Life of Brian.
'It turns out we have a lot of Python fans, and felt we should do more, so we are using it for one of our theme nights which have included Superheroes, John Wayne and Pirates of the Caribbean - which should be a good source for dead parrot props,' he explained.
- 1 Your say: Should we close carparks at north Norfolk beauty spots?
- 2 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 3 The £500,000 plan to redo two town loos
- 4 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 5 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 6 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 7 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 8 Hardware store owners to bid farewell after seven decades in business
- 9 Nominees for the North Norfolk Awards 2021 revealed
- 10 'Covid didn't kill off our creativity' - Man, 73, releases Christmas song with puppets
The pub will have three TVs screening all the Python sketches, and serving themed cocktails - as well as a Norwegian Blue beer in honour of the famous dead parrot which featured in one of most famous sketches.
The pub's visiting band at the theme night, rock cover group Replica, will also throw in some Python songs.
There are quizzes, such as a treasure hunt for Python related props around the bars, and the offer of free Spam egg and chips to 'all Vikings.'
People are encouraged to dress up as Python characters - from upper class twits and gormless Gumbies, to lumberjacks who like to 'put on women's clothing and hang around in bars' .
He is hoping for a big turnout at the event on Saturday February 28 from noon onwards - but there is one question mark on the guest list.
Asked if Cardinal Ximinez and his dastardly accomplices would be dropping in to employ their main weapons of surprise, fear, ruthless efficiency and devotion to the Pope to get the truth from customers, the publican replied: 'No-body expects the Spanish Inquisition.'