Holkham wants to double its numbers
One of Norfolk largest stately homes has applied for permission to double the number of people it can cater for at concerts. The Holkham Estate in north Norfolk, home to Viscount Coke, the Earl of Leicester, currently holds a licence to hold events for up to 10,000 people.
One of Norfolk largest stately homes has applied for permission to double the number of people it can cater for at concerts.
The Holkham Estate in north Norfolk, home to Viscount Coke, the Earl of Leicester, currently holds a licence to hold events for up to 10,000 people.
But now it has asked North Norfolk Council to extend the limit to 19,999, just under a 20,000 limit which would take it into another type of licence.
It comes as the estate plans for an upcoming Elton John concert, planned for June 14, for which 16,000 tickets are currently on sale.
You may also want to watch:
Mike Wyard, finance director for the estate, said: 'It has always been our intention to apply for a licence extension, as Holkham has steadily been growing as a concert and event venue over the past few years.
'The strong ticket sales for the Elton John concert have reinforced our need to gain extra capacity for this summer.'
- 1 Hotel's new pizza restaurant enjoys 'fantastic' first month
- 2 Hurricane and Spitfire in the Norfolk sky as heritage centre opens
- 3 Animal rescue group needs to double volunteer team to meet demand
- 4 Four days of fun planned for North Walsham Memorial park
- 5 Caravan site applies to be able to open during winter months
- 6 Pub is back, with new menu and brand, after closure fears
- 7 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 8 'A truly affordable home': Teeny tiny abode sold for glamping
- 9 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 10 Town lido among schemes put forward in funding bid
It is expected the estate will learn if it can extend its capacity by the end of this month.
A statement from the estate said that it had always planned to apply for the licence extension from 10,000 to 19,999 and that considerable work had gone into the application.
The estate holds events including Holkham Country Fair which attracts some 60,000 visitors over two days.