Chart-topping pianist Alistair McGowan to bring impressions show to Holt theatre school
- Credit: Archant
A north Norfolk performing arts school is set to welcome a chart-topping, piano-playing impressionist to their theatre as part of his national tour.
Classical pianist and impressionist, Alistair McGowan, will bring his critically acclaimed show to the Auden Theatre, at Gresham's School.
The tour, running from Thursday, July 19, to Friday, August 24, will see him perform at the venue in Holt on Saturday, August 18.
Mr McGowan said: 'This tour is a whole new way of presenting classical piano music - possibly, the first classical piano recital to intersperse romantic music with a little comedy.
'I'd be delighted if, as well as fans of classical music, we were able to encourage people who may not know much about classical piano to come and enjoy some of the incredible music written, and still being written,for the piano.
You may also want to watch:
'As well as having the chance to share my own versions of the stories of composers and the extraordinary music they write, I simply can't have a room full of people and not have some fun with my favourite impressions too.
'It should be the first show in which you can hear Harry Kane alongside the music of George Gershwin; Jacob Rees Mogg between pieces by Edvard Grieg.'
- 1 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 2 Revealed: The 10 most expensive villages in Norfolk
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Steam engine naming ceremony to mark Royal British Legion centenary
- 5 'Very disappointing' - Vandals smash and burn toilets
- 6 Delays expected on part of A149 during upcoming road resurfacing
- 7 North Norfolk key workers share impact of fuel panic buying
- 8 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 9 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk
- 10 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
He added: 'As well as being light-hearted, I hope these shows introduce people to some wonderfully romantic music and demonstrate to anyone who harbours a secret ambition to take up music, that it really is never too late.'
Mr McGowan is best known for his BAFTA-winning comedy show, The Big Impression, and has also released a chart-topping debut classical record, titled Alistair McGowan, The Piano Album, and appeared in a impressions show on Sky One, The Week That Wasn't.
He reignited his passion for piano in his late 40s, after not playing since he was a young boy.
And after learning to play some of his favourite music, he recorded a classical piano album just three years after returning to the instrument.
Wendy Metcalfe, Auden Theatre administrator, said: 'We are looking forward to receiving Alistair McGowan.'
She added: 'Tickets are £16 - please visit the Auden Theatre website or phone the box office on 01263 713444.'
For a full list of tour dates, see Alistair McGowan's website.