Proms concert to mark 100 years of our fantastic Royal Air Force
- Credit: Archant
Excitement is building ahead of this year's Great British Prom at Blickling Estate.
And the event on Saturday, August 11 will mark a particular milestone, as it celebrates 100 years of the Royal Air Force.
Local servicemen based at RAF Marham, military memorabilia and a gifted military wives' choir will all add a special flavour to the concert, which will feature the music of the National Symphony Orchestra.
RAF Marham station commander, Group Captain Ian Townsend said: 'We're delighted to be participating in the Great British Prom 2018. It should be a fantastic evening and we're all really looking forward to it.
'This year, there are many celebrations taking place around the country to mark the 100-year anniversary of the RAF and the Proms evening at Blickling will be a very fitting tribute.'
There will be an RAF marquee on-site for the evening where concert-goers can meet personnel and see military equipment up close.
On display will be RAF safety and survival equipment, an ejector seat, flying kit and a liferaft. There will also be archive video footage of Blickling and retired servicemen and an opportunity to buy the RAF 100 cookbook.
- 1 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 2 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 3 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 4 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
- 5 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 6 North Walsham 'Live Aid' legend calls it a day after 17 years
- 7 'Long-awaited in the area' - New Norfolk deli celebrates local produce
- 8 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 9 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 10 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
Also on the estate will be a selection of privately owned old military vehicles attending from the Norfolk Military Vehicle Group, which restores and exhibits all ages and types of military vehicles, including a 1945 RAF Hillman Minx Staff Car which was based at Mildenhall, a 1937 RAF Morris 10/4 Staff Car, a 1946 RAF Humber Hawk Staff Car, and a 1943 RAF Jeep with B100 markings.
The Cranwell Military Wives Choir, formed in 2012 and joined for the occasion by some ladies from RAF Marham, will be performing a piece composed by their musical director called We Will Remember Them.
Active servicemen and women from the base will be participating in the evening which will include a poignant parade and sunset ceremony as well as a reading of the poem, High Flight, one of the world's most famous aviation poems.
The evening will also be packed with performances of Proms favourites, including Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory and British anthem Jerusalem, closing with a spectacular firework display over the lake choreographed to the music.
The Eastern Daily Press and North Norfolk News are official media partners for the event. For more details and tickets, which cost £37.50, visit www.greatbritishprom.co.uk or call the box office on 01283 841601.