Young Shannocks are doing their club proud
- Credit: submitted
A fresh-faced football team from Sheringham are enjoying a season to remember – and are hoping to end it with a proud, unbeaten record.
Sheringham Town Under-10s have played 15 matches so far in their section of the North East Norfolk Youth League and have won all but one of them, with the other game ending in a draw.
During that time they have scored an impressive tally of 104 goals, with striker Alfie Doy contributing 35 and skipper Freddie Gillett a further 18.
The young Shannocks have also been rock solid at the other end of the pitch, with goalkeeper Toby Ash having been beaten just 13 times all season.
The team, who have been together for around three years now, are managed by Matt Groves and Ray Gillett, who have built on the success achieved by previous boss Daniel Doy. They are hugely impressed with the way the team have developed as a unit.
'We are extremely proud of our boys, they always give us 100pc and, just as importantly, they always go out there and enjoy themselves, which is what it is all about,' said Ray.
'They did really well last season and have built on that this time around. They are a lovely group and it's a pleasure for us to manage them.
- 1 First coastal road marathon in three decades hailed 'magnificent' success
- 2 Road closures in place for north Norfolk marathon
- 3 North Norfolk hotel named among most romantic and best small stays in UK
- 4 Holkham pub closes to drinkers to become hotel and restaurant
- 5 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 6 Hundreds visit new art gallery in Cromer in its first week
- 7 Couple about to leave north Norfolk fish and chip shop
- 8 VOTE NOW: Have your say on Norfolk's best fish and chips
- 9 'He inspires me' - Alice preps for marathon with her dad
- 10 Human rights monolith to be unveiled on village green
'We are looking to take them right through to the under-16 level with the club and hopefully they can go on to become first team players at Sheringham.
'There's a really good youth set-up at the club under Ben Price (the club's director of youth) with all the lads from the very youngest age-groups being coached to play football the right way.
'That's one of the great things about our lads. They always get their heads up and pass the ball – they don't just boot it forwards.'
The team currently play seven-a-side matches over 50 minutes but will be moving up to nine-a-side next season and will be aiming to maintain their impressive progress.
The lads have been helped by various local backers and Ray added: 'We would like to thank all of our team's sponsors; RPH Carpentry Ltd, Cake me Smile and the Sheringham Trawler for their generosity and continued support.'
The players who have made their managers and parents so proud this season (with goals scored in brackets) are Alfie Doy (35), Freddie Gillett (18), Max Wilson (15), Teddy Howard (15), Ed Featherstone (8), Aston Cole (6), Gio Cooper (3), Jay Bartlett-Massingham (1), Ben Smith (1), Thomas Taylor (1), Toby Ash (1) and Reggie Pope.