Yachtsmen silence the Robins
Wroxham 3, Ely City 1THIS was Ely's first return to Trafford Park for some seasons but they still appeared to relish the rural surroundings and gave the Yachtsmen a good run for their money in the early stages.
Wroxham 3, Ely City 1
THIS was Ely's first return to Trafford Park for some seasons but they still appeared to relish the rural surroundings and gave the Yachtsmen a good run for their money in the early stages.
They won an early penalty when Warren was brought down in a goalmouth melee but home keeper McNally guessed correctly and flew across his goal to push Mason's spot kick for a corner which came to nothing.
Still the visitors pressed forward and Bell unleashed a vicious volley that skimmed the top of the crossbar.
You may also want to watch:
At the other end the Yachtsmen sailed into their visitors' half but the three-man move ended with Cook's final effort swerving out from a deflection for a corner.
Key then crossed into the six-yard box but the overstretched Cook just got the merest touch on the ball, diverting it the wrong side of the upright.
- 1 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 2 Hotel in north Norfolk named one of the best in the UK
- 3 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 4 Sports body pushes for 54-home plan to go before the government
- 5 Norfolk rugby star takes indefinite leave due to wife's illness
- 6 Student nurse's plea after two years of university work stolen from car
- 7 See inside former brewery transformed into a cottage for sale for £875k
- 8 Car overturns in north Norfolk crash
- 9 Country park awarded 'Green Flag' for 17th year in a row
- 10 Are these the best room views in the UK? Norfolk hotel scoops prize
Crane who was completing the twin-pronged Wroxham attack was robbed when poised to let fly, having needed a couple of seconds too long to pull the trigger.
Wroxham finally went ahead in the 35th minute with a rather fluke goal. It came from Andy Key's corner delivered with in-swinging power, but the ball appeared to possess retro rockets and dipped into the keeper's top right-hand corner.
Half time: Wroxham 1, Ely City 0
Wroxham came out to continue their domination, this time converting their superiority into goals.
And after Key flashed a drive past the post the Yachtsmen went two up when Gavin Crane slotted the ball home after Lemmon's first effort was pushed out by the keeper.
At the other end McAnally blocked and saved at the second attempt from Stone and play then swept to the other end where Wroxham scored their third in the 65th minute.
The cross came over from Howes and Cook made ground to head unerringly into the right hand corner.
Wroxham kept pressing forward but were denied by Ely keeper Follen who twice saved point-blank from Cook and just before the end the visitors netted a consolation from Dane Archer who rounded McAnally to score into an empty net.
Wroxham: McAnally, Halliday, Howes, Challen, Hilton, Key, Manning, Lemmon, Crane, Cook, Gilmore. Subs: Self, Notman, Carus, White.