Yachtsmen set sail for FA Cup

IT'S all hands on deck this Saturday as the Yachtsmen sail into this season's FA Cup competition.Wroxham host Rothwell Corinthians in the extra preliminary round.

IT'S all hands on deck this Saturday as the Yachtsmen sail into this season's FA Cup competition.

Wroxham host Rothwell Corinthians in the extra preliminary round.

Although Wroxham could only draw 0-0 on Saturday against FC Clacton, they boumced back to beat Mildenhall 2-1 on Tuesday night and are now fifth in the Ridgeons Premier Division table.

A stunning strike from 17-year-old Frenchman Claudio Langlois saw Wroxham claim all three points at the expense of hosts Mildenhall Town on Tuesday evening.

A second-half deflected free-kick from James Paterson cancelled out Owen Paynter's opener and looked to have handed the home side a share of the spoils before the Frenchmen's intervention.

Mildenhall shaded the possession during the early stages and Aaron Turner was unlucky to see his stooping header from David Cooper's cross go wide of goal.

Most Read

Up the other end Langlois failed to capitalize on a mix-up between Mildenhall goalkeeper Josh Pope and captain Dave Werthmann, lifting the ball way over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

Langlois again failed to the find the net in first-half stoppage time with a low shot that struck a post. Fortunately for the visitors Paynter was on hand to haunt his old club and fire in the rebound unopposed from 12 yards.

Wroxham came out for the second half in positive mood, but just before the hour mark they were pegged back.

Turner won a free-kick on the edge of the Wroxham box and Paterson stepped up to beat Nathan Pauling with the aid of a deflection.

Cooper then volleyed inches wide of Pauling's left upright before Langlois dealt the killer blow.

The 17-year-old picked up Paul Cook's chest- down to weave his way past two defenders before unleashing a swerving effort from 20 yards which left Pope no chance.

Christian Appleford's Mildenhall rallied late on and were agonisingly close to finding a leveller on two occasions, but Tom Youngs and Alan Ross both had efforts cleared off the line.

Wroxham should have won their opening Ridgeons Premier Division game comfortably on Saturday but had to settle for a draw - denied by the woodwork, bad luck and some excellent saves from ex-Yachtsman Paul Rutherford, in goal for the visitors.

Wroxham included new signings, Nathan Pauling, Stewart Barker, Steve Jordan and teenager Claudio Langlois in the starting line-up.

Clacton had an early free-kick taken well by Pauling, who was standing in for Scott Howie

The home side were soon on the attack and Owen Paynter weaved his way to the byline before pulling the ball back for Langlois who had sight of goal but shot over.

Then Langlois turned provider as he got away from the Clacton defence but there was no-one on hand to deal with his cross.

A flowing Wroxham move on 20 minutes saw Lemmon finding Paynter in a good position but he drifted wide and was unable to get in a shot.

Then Barker played a lovely ball forward to Cook who saw Rutherford off his line and he tried to clip the ball over him but it was too high and cleared the bar.

Wroxham had the best chance of the half on 30 minutes when Paul Cook looked up on the left of the penalty area and again saw Rutherford off his line before hitting a great right-foot shot that crashed against the crossbar before being cleared.

Gavin Pauling played the ball forward to Langlois who turned his marker brilliantly to get clear of the Clacton defence but his left-foot shot went narrowly wide.

Clacton had defended well and almost took the lead just before the break. A Wroxham defender tried to clear but the ball cannoned off Mark White and almost deceived Nathan Pauling but fell just over the bar.

In the second half Wroxham continued mainly on the attack and twice Rutherford got down to save off his legs from Paynter and Boswell as he kept the home side at bay.

Lanlois showed some clever footwork to confuse several Clacton defenders but was unable to get in a shot. Then Cook had a great chance but Rutherford again pulled off an excellent save.

Next Boswell set up Langlois whose shot was on target but straight at the Clacton keeper.

In a breakaway, Clacton's Ray Turner won a corner from which the visitors almost took the lead.

As the ball came over, Gavin Pauling could only back-head and it required an instinctive tip-over from Nathen Pauling to stop the ball entering the net.

Wroxham were soon on the attack again when Cook's fierce shot was turned round by Rutherford as the home side piled on the pressure.

Clacton legs were tiring and they brought on all three subs which seemed to change the game as they got forward more often.

Full-back Kyelan Marvell turned inside and his left-foot shot seemed to be heading towards the top corner but was just over. Then White's volley was straight at Pauling and the game flowed from end to end.

Danny Self, who had come on for Gavin Pauling, was almost immediately booked for obstruction and was only on the field a few minutes more before getting a harsh second yellow for a tackle on a Clacton player.

The game then fizzled out as frustration crept in and both sides settled for a draw.