Yachtsmen held to draw

Haverhill Rovers 0, Wroxham 0

FOOTBALL: With the sides meeting in consecutive weeks Wroxham, who took the points the previous Saturday, forced the first early chance. Shaun Howes got down the left to get in a perfect cross for Paul Cook, who headed back across goal – but Danny Bloomfield was unable to get enough power on his header, writes Paul Gibson.

The home side came into the game on 22 minutes when Marc Abbott made a run into the Wroxham area and his fine shot was parried away by Scott Howie for a Haverhill corner which came to nothing.

The first yellow cards of the game came five minutes later when Gavin Lemmon was the innocent party in a headlock by Haverhill's Abbot, but referee Harvey booked both players for the scuffle.

Haverhill nearly took the lead on with Danny Self tidying up a clearance with a back header to Howie as O'Brien almost nipped in to take advantage, but the ball just eluded him.

Wroxham had an early chance in the second half with Josh Carus working his way forward. With a deft chip he found Gavin Lemmon who, with only the keeper to beat, was unable to stretch out his boot to finish off.

Haverhill's Hunt had a snap shot when in a good position but his effort was well wide.

Most Read

On 60 minutes Damian Hilton replaced Bloomfield. Another good Wroxham move saw Danny Self finding Lemmon whose shot from the edge of the area was blocked. From the corber Hilton's flick missed.

David Batch's next change to force the issue was Gary Gilmore coming on for Danny Boswell.

Haverhill's Harrison had his shot well saved by Howie. With the game flowing end to end Wroxham had a great chance with Paul Cook beating the offside trap and dinking the ball over a defender. But with only Morrison to beat, he blazed over.

Another change saw Andy Eastaugh on for Ross Durrant as Haverhill also made further changes.

Referee Harvey was having to do quite a lot of paperwork as he then produced three yellow cards in quck succession for Howes, Challen and Carus.

Wroxham went for the long ball ball up to Hilton to try and get the goal to keep them in touch with Dereham in second place, but it never came as the score remained goalless at the final whistle.