Yachtsmen do the double over K&P

Wroxham completed a double over Kirkley & Pakefield last night to move up to fourth place in the Ridgeons Premier Division table.

kirkley & Pakefield 0, Wroxham 2

kirkley entertained old adversaries Wroxham at Walmer Road in an eagerly-awaited clash.

The Royals created the first chance as Russell Stock's header was saved at point-blank range by keeper Scott Howie.

as many passes slipped away on the wet surface, surprisingly it was the away team who opened the scoring on 18 minutes. A long free kick wasn't dealt with by the keeper and Damian Hilton struck home from close range.

To kirkley's credit they dominated the rest of the half as Darren Grint's cross was agonisingly missed by Ali Mckenna and Russell Stock glanced a free header wide.

Most Read

The second half was a scrappy affair with the only real chance in the opening stages falling to Claudio Langlois, although Dave Attridge was quickly off his line to prevent the danger.

Kirkley went two goals behind when Ryan de Coteau was adjudged to have fouled Paul Cook in the box and up stepped Damian Hilton to score his second goal of the evening.

As the experienced away side held the lead De Coteau tried to make up for the penalty incident, yet his 30-yard free kick was pushed to safety by Scott Howie as Wroxham left with all three points.

The Yachtsmen are in Ridgeons League Challenge Cup action on Saturday, hosting Woodbridge Town who currently prop up the Premier table.

Stanway Rovers 2, Wroxham 1

On Saturday, at a cold and windy Hawthorns, Wroxham started off well, earning several free-kicks outside the Rovers penalty box but over- kicking them due to the strong wind behind them.

Wroxham could not break through the very well-organised home defence, only to see Rovers make a quick counter attack and with poor defending they succeeded in putting the ball into the back of Howie's net through Jamie Ricks.

A stunning piece of football from Ross Durrant forced a Rovers defender to almost put the ball into his own net. Another cracking run by Ollie King was made minutes later, but again he was unable to break through this solid defence.

At the other end Graham Challen cleared the ball off his own line. Both teams were battling it out and Durrant was fouled outside Rovers penalty area, only to see Lemmon smash the ball right at the keeper.

Rovers missed an open goal chance by placing the ball past a post. The second half started well for Rovers, putting Wroxham under pressure right from the start. Again, through a defensive mistake from Wroxham, Rovers doubled the score when Ricks put the ball under Howie's body and in to the back of the net.

Wroxham were forced to defend, however Rovers managed to see their effort stopped by another great save from Scott Howie.

Wroxham had several free- kicks awarded to them due to the extremely close marking from the Rovers players.

With approximately five minutes to go, Ross Durrant whilst making another strong run, was brought down in the penalty box, giving Damian Hilton the chance of putting the spot-kick away.

Only one minute later, Wroxham had a clear penalty denied for hand-ball but it was not to be and this defeat brought to an end a five-match unbeaten run.