Yachtsmen close up

FC Clacton 1, Wroxham 3

Wroxham closed the gap on second-placed Dereham in the Ridgeons Premier to two points on Saturday from a game more after a 3-1 win at FC Clacton.

They overcame an injury crisis which on Friday night looked like leaving manager David Batch with just one defender available in the whole club.

'We patched a couple up to play but I still counted up that nine players were missing,' he commented.

He said the tactic was 'to go for it, get the ball down their end and keep it there.' And he got a performance of character and maturity.

'They played really, really well and 3-1 flattered Clacton. Our forwards looked really dangerous.'

He said Russ Durrant nearly scored the goal of the century with an effort which drew applause from his opponents, something Batch had never seen at that level.

Most Read

He brought down a long clearance and dribbled round four players before smashing his shot past the advancing keeper but wide.

Clacton took the lead but it lasted just five minutes, Ben Thompson equalising. With 20 minutes to go Danny Bloomfield made it 2-1 from a corner, Thompson wrapping up the points from a Gary Lemmon free-kick 10 minutes from time.

Batch said Thompson could have claimed a hat-trick. 'After being out for a whole season with injury he is starting to show his old form.'

Clacton had the best of early play and made it pay after nine minutes when a good ball in from the right by Luke Coleman was met at the back post by Scott Yearling with a neat side-foot finish past Scott Howie, writes Paul Gibson.

Wroxham responded straight away with Durrant getting into the action. Agood ball into Clacton's penalty box was not cleared, falling kindly for Thompson to level the score.

Wroxham's midfielders started to boss the midfield. A link-up between Lemmon and Durrant set up Paul Cook and after his driving run his shot was well saved by ex-Wroxham keeper Paul Rutherford who tipped the ball over for a corner.

Clacton then had a chance to take the lead again when a good ball in was met by Ray Turner, who from only six yards put his header straight at Howie who instinctively tipped over.

On 55 minutes Wroxham should have taken the lead with a neat piece of skill from Paul Cook which saw him leave two defenders standing, and when in a good position to shoot himself, he elected to pass to Thompson, whose snap shot was just wide.

Referee Oldershaw had to calm down a scuffle when Durrant beat his man for pace only to be caught in the face by an outstretched arm from Jack Cawley, who received a yellow card.

Wroxham should have taken the lead when Thompson, again through on goal, saw Rutherford get a hand on the ball for another corner to Wroxham.

From this Gavin Lemmon put in a quality cross for Steve Jordan to flick on and poacher Bloomfield was on hand to poke the ball over the line for Wroxham take the lead.

Another Wroxham attack saw the lively Thompson grab his second on 82 minutes. After a good move he stabbed the ball home.