Yachtsmen becalmed over holiday

PUBLISHED: 12:15 30 December 2009 | UPDATED: 10:13 13 July 2010

Although Wroxham didn't play this week as their Boxing Day game at Norwich United was postponed, some of their Ridgeons League rivals did manage to complete fixtures.

Although Wroxham didn't play this week as their Boxing Day game at Norwich United was postponed, some of their Ridgeons League rivals did manage to complete fixtures.

The only Premier Division game on Tuesday saw Dereham leapfrog the Yachtsmen as they rose from 13th to ninth after beating Newmarket 3-1. The result leaves Wroxham in 11th place going into the new year.

Andy Eady headed Newmarket into the lead but the Magpies hit back with goals by Daniel Buhlemann, Danny Beaumont (penalty) and Nicky Howell.

Kirkley & Pakefield scored twice in the final eight minutes on Monday against visitors Norwich United to claim their second 2-1 victory of the festive period.

United took the lead with a simple header from a corner by defender Steve Shipley. The Royals got their act together after introducing substitutes Russell Stock and new signing Andy Key. Stock rose high to head in a Grint centre and then Nathan Stone wrapped up the three points after a solo run at goal.

The Planters did not give up and Paul Atkins' last-minute cross was headed goalwards by new signing George Wilson, only for the injured Robert Woodcock to pull off a tremendous save diving to his left.

From the corner Shipley was denied, with Woodcock blocking once more to preserve the side's lead.

United manager Paul Chick said: “It's a frustrating game. We played the better football, the lads did the club proud but we switched off twice at the end and then Woody has pulled off a tremendous save at the end. I thought the two boys in central midfield, Tom Jeal and George Wilson played very well, especially George on his debut.”

Leaders Needham Market retained their two-point advantage as they won 4-2 at Walsham-le-Willows. But CRC, who have three games in hand, are still breathing down their necks following a 2-1 derby victory over Histon Reserves. Wisbech were thrashed 6-1 at Mildenhall.

In Division One, Diss Town claimed their first win since early November after a controversial finish at Team Bury. Stuart Garner converted a late penalty to put Diss 2-1 up after George Watts-Sturrock had been judged to have had his shirt pulled.

And deep into injury time the home team were convinced they had equalised when Nick Davy headed in - only to have his 'goal' disallowed for pushing. The action climaxed a second half which also saw Bury's Ryan Clarke sent off following an incident involving Craig Skipp.

Peter Hooks had fired Diss into a fourth-minute lead but Davy equalised.

FC Clacton had an impressive 5-1 victory at Cornard. Fakenham still have just three points to their name after losing 2-1 at Downham Market.

Monday's scheduled Gorleston v Swaffham game was called off. Tuesday saw Thetford holding visitors, league leaders Yarmouth, to a 1-1 draw.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Norfolk News. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Norfolk News