Wroxham win Senior Cup

Wroxham 3, Sheringham 1Wroxham avoided a major upset Tuesday night with a hard-fought Norfolk Senior Cup final victory over Sheringham at Carrow Road.

Wroxham 3, Sheringham 1

Wroxham avoided a major upset Tuesday night with a hard-fought Norfolk Senior Cup final victory over Sheringham at Carrow Road.

Gavin Lemmon gave a captain's performance - scoring one goal and setting up another before missing a late penalty - to ensure the Yachtsmen avoided being on the wrong end of a shock against their Anglian Combination opponents in front of more than 1,600 people, writes Michael Bailey.

But the Shannocks gave their all

and left-back Stuart Barker scored a wonder goal to give his side hope just before half-time.

However, the Ridgeons League Premier Division outfit put the game beyond their grasp thanks to Lemmon's strike to lift the cup for the seventh time.

Most Read

Wroxham got off to the best possible start with only seven minutes on the clock as they cut Shannocks apart with a slick move.

Gavin Pauling and Ben Thompson combined well before Gary Gilmore's low centre from the left was dinked in by Danny White away from the flailing arms of keeper Mark Camidge.

Two minutes later Lemmon's low driven free-kick from the right had Sheringham in all kinds of trouble, and as the ball whizzed across the

six-yard box Leighton Miller prodded the ball in at the far post.

The Shannocks re-grouped and had the better of the rest of the first half.

Striker Karl Fox failed to connect with Barker's cross from only six yards out while Olly King could only drill the ball over after Pauling's woeful back pass.

But on the stroke of half-time, Sheringham put themselves squarely back in the match with a wonder strike from Barker.

Shannocks captain Kristian Gleave's first-time cross from the right hung high in the air and as it dropped 15 yards out on the opposite corner of the penalty area. Barker swung his right foot to send a peach of a volley past Wroxham keeper Robert Woodcock.

At the start of the second half Thompson had a glorious chance for Wroxham but skied the ball over from almost under the crossbar.

Just before the hour mark Thompson found himself through again, but this time he found the far post in the way, after he had taken the ball around Camidge.

Sheringham introduced Roy Bevis to the delight of the Shannocks' fans who had made the trip from the north Norfolk coast, while Wroxham's replacements included former Norwich City striker Alex Notman, back on familiar turf.

On 72 minutes, Wroxham all but put the game beyond their opponents when Lemmon timed his run from deep to perfection as Sheringham's defence was left square, and he rounded Camidge before side-footing the ball into an empty net.

Wroxham controlled the rest of the match and were only denied a

fourth goal when Lemmon sent his injury-time spot-kick crashing against the bar after he had been felled by Camidge.

Wroxham: Woodcock, Pauling, Furlong, Miller, Carus, Key (Notman), White, Lemmon, Thompson (Cook 85), Gilman (Harley 74), Gilmore. Subs: Howes, Self.

Sheringham: Camidge, Banham, Barker, S Jordan, A Gleave, Eastaugh (Bevis 64), Timm (Walton 64), Amis, King, Fox (Tanti 68), K Gleave. Subs: M Jordan, Parker.

Attendance: 1,613. Ref: Glenn Hambling.