Wroxham win derby clash

Wroxham 2,Dereham Town 1

Wroxham were looking to reverse a recent defeat at Dereham and had to win to maintain any chance of finishing in runners-up spot in the Ridgeons Premier, while the Magpies needed just a draw.

The Yachtsmen got off to the perfect start with the first attack of the game. The ball was played into Hilton, and his flick put Gavin Lemmon through on the left. His composed finish found the corner of the net past the advancing Marshall for a 1-0 lead.

In the next attack Shaun Howes linked up well with Lemmon, but his ball meant for Hilton was just over-hit and picked up by keeper Marshall.

On 25 minutes Wroxham increased their lead when Thompson was upended on the edge of the area right under the eyes of referee Smith.

He immediately pointed to the spot and Damian Hilton stepped up to finish coolly, despite Marshall choosing the right way.

The first caution of the game came when Danny Self went in the book for a lunge on Dereham's Kenny Reeves, who was giving the defender a tough afternoon.

Most Read

Gary Gilmore then had to be spoken to after a tussle in midfiled, and from the free-kick Scott Howie punched away under pressure from Scott Roberts.

Ben Thompson had a chance to kiil off the game just before half-time but his shot on the turn was pushed away by the impressive Marshall in the Dereham goal to keep the score 2-0.

The second half was confined mostly to mid-field, but Dereham had a chance with a Danny Beaumont shot from 25 yards flying just wide of Howie's post.

The visitors then made the first change on 55 minutes with ex-Wroxham player Andy Fulcher replacing Craig Bussens.

Dereham were getting more into the game and forced a corner. The cross fell for Beaumont, whose shot was well held by Scott Howie.

On 65 minutes Wroxham had a chance with Gilmore and Durrant linking up well for the ball to fall to Thompson. He laid on a chance for Lemmon to smash a shot just over the bar.

Dereham's next change saw Kyle Downs replace Kenny Reeves on 70 minutes.

With Wroxham showing greater desire and energy, they then had two efforts saved on the line with Ross Durrant and Gilmore both seeing shots blocked.

Wroxham brought on Ben Jones in place of Hilton, who had worked his socks off, and Jones was soon in the action when he was fouled on the edge of the area and Lemmon crossed to Andy Eastaugh, who headed over.

With Dereham chasing the game they were given a life-line when they won a corner on the left.

The cross was met first time by Jay Eastoe-Smith to make the score 2-1 and set up a tense finish.

But Wroxham held on and the runners-up spot will be decided on the final day of the season with Wroxham away to Woodbridge.

A win will be needed if Dereham can complete the double over their visitors, new league champions Leiston.