Wroxham suffer FA Cup exit on penalties

Wroxham will have to pick themselves up again for Saturday's Ridgeons League visit to Histon Reserves after being knocked out of the FA Cup by Ely in the cruellest way - on penalties.

Wroxham will have to pick themselves up again for Saturday's Ridgeons League visit to Histon Reserves after being knocked out of the FA Cup by Ely in the cruellest way - on penalties.

After the first attempt ended 2-2 last weekend, Tuesday's replay was 1-1 after extra time and then the Yachtsmen's Ridgeons rivals Ely won the penalty shoot-out with keeper Lee Pacey netting the sudden-death winner.

The teams were level at 1-1 after 90 minutes and extra time as Ross Durrant's second-half equaliser cancelled out an earlier strike by Ely's captain Simon Warren.

Wroxham held a 3-1 advantage in the shoot out before Danny Self, Gavin Lemmon and Durrant all missed and Pacey had the task of scoring the winner to take the Cambridgshire side through to the next round against UCL Stewart & Lloyds together with the �1,500 prize money.

You may also want to watch:

Wroxham 2, Ely City 2

Most Read

In a scrappy first FA Cup preliminary round tie on Saturday, Wroxham ended up with nine men and without manager David Batch after red cards for protesting against controversial decisions.

From a long throw Robbie Mason shot well to beat Nathan Pauling and put Ely into the lead in 12 minutes. After another very good long throw-in Ely were given a penalty for hand-ball in the area and Gavin Pauling received a yellow card. The penalty was taken very well by David Smith for 2-0.

Wroxham then applied pressure with runs by Langlois, Cook and Daniels with shots from Daniels and Paynter going over the bar and being saved.

Wroxham started the second half without their manager as he had been red carded at half-time for a vociferous protest about the assistant referee.

The team however pressed forward to try and rescue the game and after a persistent effort Paul Cook put the ball in the net in the 49th minute to bring the score to 2-1. Ely attacked straight from the kick-off but the ball was gathered by Nathan Pauling who launched it downfield.

There then followed two quick bookings, Smith for kicking the ball away and then Lemmon for a foul on Smith. Lawrence got the ball from the free-kick and took a terrific shot that went across the goalmouth and hit a post, only to rebound to the keeper who sent a long pass to let Langlois break away and see his shot saved well.

In Wroxham's next attack Cook had a tremendous curling shot pushed away by Pavey, and when Lemmon hammered the ball in it was stopped by an Ely hand and the referee gave a penalty which was converted by Owen Paynter on the 58th minute.

Mason was booked for arguing with the referee and then Langlois was given a second yellow and a controversial red for a tackle. Lemmon was given his second yellow for arguing, so Wroxham were down to nine men. They immediately brought on Challen for Bruel to tighten up the defence and basically played to hold on for a draw. They then substituted Boswell for Paynter and continued to soak up the pressure. There were two really good saves by Nathan Pauling and some firm but fair tackles from Gavin Pauling. Hilton was briliant in defence. Both Cook and Daniels tried to break away whenever they could but were outnumbered by Ely.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus