Wroxham snatch FA Cup win
Grantham 3, Wroxham 4AFTER a game full of incident, Wroxham won this FA Cup first qualifying round tie against Unibond Division One South side Grantham.
Grantham 3, Wroxham 4
AFTER a game full of incident, Wroxham won this FA Cup first qualifying round tie against Unibond Division One South side Grantham.
Disaster hit them on the half hour when they were caught sleepwalking at the back and Josh Carus brought down Jason Turner to concede a penalty for which he received the red card.
The home team went ahead with a low diving header by Billy Stubbs from a corner. But then a free kick by Howes was met by Carus to level. Wroxham's keeper Thornton then pulled off a superb diving save to deny Dixon before punching across clear.
You may also want to watch:
Wroxham went 2-1 down from the spot scored by Turner but the 10 men rallied themselves and got on level terms when a Notman free-kick found Paul Cook whose great header beat Conroy.
Before the half ended Wroxham netted again but it was ruled out for a foul in the penalty area.
- 1 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 2 Hotel in north Norfolk named one of the best in the UK
- 3 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 4 Sports body pushes for 54-home plan to go before the government
- 5 Norfolk rugby star takes indefinite leave due to wife's illness
- 6 Student nurse's plea after two years of university work stolen from car
- 7 See inside former brewery transformed into a cottage for sale for £875k
- 8 Car overturns in north Norfolk crash
- 9 Country park awarded 'Green Flag' for 17th year in a row
- 10 Are these the best room views in the UK? Norfolk hotel scoops prize
After Thornton got in the way of a fierce drive from Cann, Wroxham's Gilmore put in a mesmerising 30-yard run, pulled the ball back in the path of his surging forwards but the ball ran freely out of danger.
Danny White had to go off for five minutes receiving treatment for an injured hip. Grantham went ahead when Jamie Gyoury-Hales met a corner to give Thornton no chance.
Wroxham won a penalty when Cook was brought down and Steve Harley stepped up to equalise from the spot. White finally had to come off with his injury to be replaced by Colin Wines.
More drama in the 73rd minute, when Grantham were reduced to 10 men when captain Terry Fleming was shown the red card for taking a swing at Harley, who was shown yellow. Both keepers kept their teams in this thriller until seven minutes into stoppage time.
Wroxham's livewire midfielder Gary Gilmore beat the home defenders for pace and a mesmerising run that ended with him slotting home the winner to earn Wroxham £3,000 and a place in the next round.