Wroxham left with the blues

AFTER starting their Ridgeons Premier season in style at the weekend, Wroxham were left singing the blues on Tuesday night when they lost 3-2 away to Lowestoft Town.

AFTER starting their Ridgeons Premier season in style at the weekend, Wroxham were left singing the blues on Tuesday night when they lost 3-2 away to Lowestoft Town.

On Saturday they tackle Town's near neighbours Kirkley & Pakefield at Trafford Park in the FA Cup extra preliminary round.

Lowestoft Town 3, Wroxham 2

THE Blues won their second match in four days after being a goal down.

The Yachtsmen took a ninth-minute lead through Paul Cook from 12 yards out.

But on 23 minutes Jamie Godbold equalised, lobbing the keeper.

Most Read

Lowestoft took a 2-1 lead on 37 minutes when Dale Cockerill got on the end of a rebound.

A penalty on 70 minutes after a foul by Graham Challen saw Richard Woodrow put the Blues 3-1 ahead.

Then on 85 minutes Steve Harley got in a shot which took a ricochet off Carl Poppy for an own goal.

Felixstowe and Walton 1, Wroxham 4

WROXHAM started their new season in fine style, going in at the break 2-1 up against feisty Felixstowe.

The Yachtsmen had an excellent start with a fourth minute goal, a superb build-up between Notman, Key and Howes ended by Paul Cook who headed the ball home virtually out of the hands of keeper Crump.

The host side were clearly stung by this and McAnally had to come off his line to make a debut save to deny Phillips.

Wroxham responded by pushing forward and Notman, who was running the game from just behind striker Cook, fired a yard wide with Crump covering the near post.

Wroxham continued to press forward and a free-kick was cleared, but only to Howes, whose pot shot was gathered by Crump.

The only blemish in the Yachtsmen's new season outfit appeared to be a worrying nervousness in the back four, which resulted in Graham Challen bringing down Claydon for a penalty. and Danny Phillips stepped up with a 19th minute conversion.

Wroxham were moved into hectic action after this setback and White and Harley combined superbly with the only result a corner given away by the fumbling keeper.

Felixstowe were still looking dangerous on the break but Wroxham's keeper came to the rescue and was finally fouled by Phillips to ease the danger.

At the other end White flashed a right-footer across the face of goal and soon after the Yachtsmen took the lead when Notman beat Crump with a magnificent 24-yarder.

With 10 minutes to go McAnally saved Wroxham again with a superb reflex save from Betson, then play swept to the opposite end where White, spotting the keeper off his line, delivered a delicate lob that rebounded off the crossbar. The same player a minute later headed over when the ball came back to him on the edge of the six-yard box.

Paul Cook, who had played a major role in the first half for the Yachtsmen, set up Andy Key for a superb third goal to leave them firmly in the driving seat in the 63rd minute.

Despite efforts from the home side Wroxham added to their score in the 75th minute when Key raced from the halfway line to finish with a flourish from the narrowest of angles to put the result beyond doubt.

A crowd of over 200 enjoyed an entertaining game as Wroxham Reserves lifted the President's Trophy after winning 2-0 at Wymondham Town.

The young Wroxham team took the lead with a first-class goal from Bradley Hoffman.

After the interval the visitors' class began to tell but Hodges in the home goal made some fine saves.

But just before the end Shaun Woanes popped up to add a second for Wroxham.