Woe for North Walsham

North Walsham 2, St Johns 3

North Walsham Town played host to newly-promoted St Johns and despite seeming in complete control, a catastrophic 15-minute period in the second half saw the Angels defeated.

Town made two changes to the starting XI that beat Wroxham Reserves, with Sage returning in place of the unavailable Wheeler and taking the right-back slot, whilst Davies, who was rested after suffering a knock at Trafford Park, was replaced by Gainsford.

After referee Jacques was forced to leave the field due to a calf injury, Walsham moved ahead on 10 minutes. Marsh was up-ended as he attempted to reach Cini's through-ball and Pat Gainsford stepped up to curl the free-kick wickedly into the bottom corner.

The Angels doubled their lead when Abbs showed a touch of quality to escape his marker and deliver to the unmarked Robert Grand who composed himself before blasting into the top corner from 15 yards.

The second half started well for Walsham and on 58 minutes Reynolds screwed the ball inches wide when well placed.

Most Read

From this moment on Town committed footballing suicide as St Johns mounted their comeback. Substitute Matthews' long throw caused questions that Town were unable to answer and the ball was headed home at the far post. The equaliser followed with 10 minutes left as Tuttle beat two challenges before slotting past Murphy.

A skidding long-range shot was not held by Murphy and Tuttle was on hand to complete the remarkable turnaround.

North Walsham 1, Mattishall 1

NORTH Walsham had the perfect opportunity to set the record straight only three days later when league leaders and Senior Cup holders Mattishall were the visitors to Greens Road.

Sage was injured and Abbs was unavailable, with Davis and Davies making their returns to the starting XI, while Higgs made his debut in goal at the expense of Murphy.

Town grabbed the opener in first half injury time. A deep in-swinging corner from the left by Gainsford was glanced into the top corner by skipper Andy Muir.

Mattishall came out all guns blazing in the second half, but as the game entered stoppage time it seemed as though The Angels would hold on. But then a deep in-swinging corner from the left was headed home by Jake Anema for the equaliser.

Town travel to Sheringham tomorrow night, followed by a visit to Cromer Town the following Saturday.

The Reserves travelled to Newton Flotman and, after being reduced to 10 men, suffered a 6-1 defeat whilst the A-team stole the points from Hickling with a 2-1 win. The Sunday side travelled to Horsford and due to unavailability, injury, late call-offs and no shows began with only 10 players. They succumbed to a 6-2 defeat (Tindall pen, Blyth) to end their perfect start to the season.