William’s win puts Sheringham on national golfing map
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2012
Sheringham Golf Club was placed firmly on the national golfing map as William Harrold claimed the biggest win yet of his professional career.
Harrold, now officially backed by his home club, produced an impressive performance in the the opening event of the EuroPro Tour season, the Matchroom Championship at The Belfry.
Harrold began the final day four behind 36-hole leader Jack Senior but the former Walker Cup man shot 76 in his final round to fall from -7 overnight to -3. Harrold meanwhile did his club proud at the iconic Ryder Cup venue, firing a solid one under par round of 71 to win by one shot. He collected a winner's cheque of £10,000 for his first EuroPro Tour victory, having missed out in a play-off at The Oxfordshire last season.
'It feels great,' said Harrold, who is maintaining the good form he showed before Christmas when he made it through to the final section of European Tour School.
'I was ready for another play-off but I am happy to not have had to have that again. My dad was on the bag this week. He's a good caddy and we have a good record together. He was on the bag at The Oxfordshire last year too.
'I will take it one step at a time this season; the next one will be just as tough as this one. I play my golf one step at a time but we all know what can happen at the end of the season. I plan to play all the EuroPro events this year, and hopefully one or two on the Challenge Tour too.'
Highlights of the event will be broadcast eight times on Sky Sports, premiering at 8pm next Tuesday. Meanwhile Harrold will be aiming to keep up the good work at the next event, the Eagle Orchid Scottish Masters at Montrose, beginning on Tuesday.
- 1 First coastal road marathon in three decades hailed 'magnificent' success
- 2 North Norfolk hotel named among most romantic and best small stays in UK
- 3 Holkham pub closes to drinkers to become hotel and restaurant
- 4 Hundreds visit new art gallery in Cromer in its first week
- 5 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 6 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 7 Couple about to leave north Norfolk fish and chip shop
- 8 Road closures in place for north Norfolk marathon
- 9 Six beaches in Norfolk awarded Blue Flag status for 2022
- 10 VOTE NOW: Have your say on Norfolk's best fish and chips