Welcome points for Holt after win

Holt 23, Woodbridge 12

RUGBY: This win gives Holt four points and confirms their mid table position and leaves Woodbridge still seeking their first league win, although on this showing, that should not be too far away.

This weekend is a free one for Holt's first fifteen and they resume league action in a fortnight with a trip to Suffolk, to play Thurston, who are never easy to beat on their own ground.

Although they won there last season and will be hoping to do the same this, especially as Thurston have had a poor start and have yet to win a match and Holt must make sure they are not their first victims.

Old rivals Woodbridge were the visitors to High Kelling looking to record a rare victory here.

Holt would be expecting to produce a more all-round performance than had been shown at Haverhill last week and to maintain their good home record against Woodbridge.

The weather was dry and cloudy with a stiff breeze blowing diagonally across the pitch and underfoot the conditions were excellent. Holt played against the wind from the start and from the onset showed they were up for the match.

Most Read

Early pressure did not pay off, but after six minutes Ilsley crossed for a try after good work by the Holt pack and Allen was equal to the occasion by landing an excellent conversion to give the hosts a 7-0 lead. Woodbridge were not rattled by this set back and produced some lively spells when in possession, testing Holt's defence to the full.

Holt still maintained their positive approach, but still wasted good chances by conceding penalties, however Jarry-Ryan made good ground with one of his scintillating runs and from the second phase, Hill crossed for an unconverted try, putting the home side 12-0 in the lead with half an hour played.

Holt still maintained the ascendancy and Allen was on target with a penalty four minutes later to extend the lead to 15-0. Woodbridge were still showing dangerous phases of attack, keeping Holt on the alert and with three minutes to half-time, the home side were reduced to fourteen men through an indiscretion.

However they were let off as the penalty kick was wide of the target. Half-time arrived with no further score, with Holt realising they would be one short for the first seven minutes of the second half.

From the re-start, Woodbridge took play into Holt's half and after two minutes were rewarded with a try by their centre and with the conversion, the margin had been reduced to 15-7.

Following this success, the visitors raised their game to be rewarded with another try after thirteen minutes, when their wing forward scored an unconverted try to bring the scoreline uncomfortably close at 15-12.

Holt found they were up against determined opponents and knew they could not afford to leak another score, which would wipe out their slender lead. The home side eventually made inroads into Woodbridge's half with a determination to stay at that end of the field and their cause was helped when a Woodbridge player dangerously up-ended a Holt player, being yellow carded for his effort after 24 minutes.

Allen then kicked the resulting penalty to extend the lead to 18-12. Holt were now playing with the fire they had shown earlier in the game and with eight minutes remaining, Jarry-Ryan gathered the ball on the half-way line and burst his way through the visitor's defence to score an excellent unconverted try, putting his side comfortably ahead 23-12, knowing the opposition would have to score twelve points in the time left. This was not allowed to happen and Holt finished the game in control, although all credit to Woodbridge for their contribution, who had at one stage early in the second half, looked as though they had the game for the taking.