Walsham ladies slay Dragons
North Walsham Ladies 1, Norwich Dragons II 0NORTH Walsham Ladies showed strong grit and determination to claim a 1-0 victory over Norwich Dragons II at Cromer.
North Walsham Ladies 1, Norwich Dragons II 0
NORTH Walsham Ladies showed strong grit and determination to claim a 1-0 victory over Norwich Dragons II at Cromer.
Norwich Dragons II took the game to North Walsham Ladies from the off, with quick passing and attacking play in an attempt to unsettle them but Walsham's defence held strong, despite the loss of regular sweeper, Jo Hadley, who was absent due to a fractured hand from last week's game.
Walsham soon found their feet and were well placed to challenge the opposition's defence and a long corner from the right taken by Sue Gardiner, with strong interlinking team play enabled Ellen Vanlint to slot away the winner, leaving the Dragon's keeper with little chance. There followed short corners for both teams in the run up to the half-time whistle but neither were able to score due to strong defensive play.
The second half had end-to-end action, hard tackling and quick passing breaks from both teams from the start but neither were able to capitalise and increase the score line. Special mention goes to Charlotte Else, playing out of position, who had an inspired second half with quick running breaks challenging the opposition's defence as well as strong defensive play to disrupt the Dragons' wing play.
Walsham Ladies deservedly held on to their win despite strong pressure from Norwich Dragons towards the end of the game and the solid team performance from just eleven players showed how far they have come from the start of the season.
- 1 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 2 Nail bar owner now planning to open third shop in north Norfolk
- 3 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 4 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 5 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 6 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 7 5 TV shows and films shot in Norfolk getting released in 2022
- 8 Bid to open glampsite in north Norfolk meadow
- 9 New group's £3.3 million bid to take over Holt Hall
- 10 Memorial bench planned to honour long-serving flood warden
Team: Emily Waldron, Julie Mercer, Min Tallowin, Nicky Pye, Ellen Vanlint, Charlotte Else, Lou Catling, Fiona Spencer, Sue Gardiner, Jane Delph, Jenny Marshall.