Walsham ladies slay Dragons
North Walsham Ladies 1, Norwich Dragons II 0NORTH Walsham Ladies showed strong grit and determination to claim a 1-0 victory over Norwich Dragons II at Cromer.
North Walsham Ladies 1, Norwich Dragons II 0
NORTH Walsham Ladies showed strong grit and determination to claim a 1-0 victory over Norwich Dragons II at Cromer.
Norwich Dragons II took the game to North Walsham Ladies from the off, with quick passing and attacking play in an attempt to unsettle them but Walsham's defence held strong, despite the loss of regular sweeper, Jo Hadley, who was absent due to a fractured hand from last week's game.
Walsham soon found their feet and were well placed to challenge the opposition's defence and a long corner from the right taken by Sue Gardiner, with strong interlinking team play enabled Ellen Vanlint to slot away the winner, leaving the Dragon's keeper with little chance. There followed short corners for both teams in the run up to the half-time whistle but neither were able to score due to strong defensive play.
You may also want to watch:
The second half had end-to-end action, hard tackling and quick passing breaks from both teams from the start but neither were able to capitalise and increase the score line. Special mention goes to Charlotte Else, playing out of position, who had an inspired second half with quick running breaks challenging the opposition's defence as well as strong defensive play to disrupt the Dragons' wing play.
Walsham Ladies deservedly held on to their win despite strong pressure from Norwich Dragons towards the end of the game and the solid team performance from just eleven players showed how far they have come from the start of the season.
- 1 Revealed: The 10 most expensive villages in Norfolk
- 2 North Norfolk key workers share impact of fuel panic buying
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 5 Steam engine naming ceremony to mark Royal British Legion centenary
- 6 Delays expected on part of A149 during upcoming road resurfacing
- 7 'Very disappointing' - Vandals smash and burn toilets
- 8 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 9 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 10 Happisburgh's 'relentless' erosion captured in stunning photo essay
Team: Emily Waldron, Julie Mercer, Min Tallowin, Nicky Pye, Ellen Vanlint, Charlotte Else, Lou Catling, Fiona Spencer, Sue Gardiner, Jane Delph, Jenny Marshall.