Victory takes Cromer CC 14 points clear at top of Norfolk Alliance Premier Division
- Credit: EDP pics Â© 2011(01603) 772434
Cromer moved 14 points clear at the top of the Norfolk Alliance Premier Division table after recording an impressive win at Garboldisham.
David Turner followed up his six sixes in an over the previous week with an important 60 this time around as Cromer put their poor show in their previous away match at Old Buckenham firmly behind them.
They were beaten by 10 wickets on that occasion after being dismissed for just 60 but there was never any chance of history repeating itself at the morning leaders.
Turner's knock helped Cromer reach 207-9 in their 50 overs and that proved more than enough as Garboldisham were bowled out for just 128, with Rob Purton taking 5-25.
Cromer have a chance to improve their position still further on Saturday when they play host to the division's bottom side Sprowston (1pm).
You may also want to watch:
It's shaping up to be an exciting title battle, with Cromer having five sides breathing down their necks separated by just four points.
Brooke have made a low-key start to the defence of their title - but judging by Saturday's dominant performance against Downham they now appear to be moving into top gear.
- 1 'Power buyers' help pump up north Norfolk housing market to new heights
- 2 The Original Factory Shop to open new site in north Norfolk
- 3 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 4 Amazing aerial shots show scale of shipwreck
- 5 Foodbank changes name to reflect increased demand
- 6 Beavers hard at work transforming chalk stream after Norfolk introduction
- 7 See inside this converted Victorian school on sale for £650,000
- 8 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 9 Have your say on bid to improve North Walsham town centre
- 10 Man released on bail after reports of fight in village
The recent arrival of professional Gary Chirimuuta has certainly given Brooke a lift, with the young Zimbabwean scoring his second Alliance century to help his side to an impressive 331-4 in their 50 overs.
Chirimuuta (110) and Matt Collinge (120 not out) put on 228 for the fourth wicket to take the game away from the visitors who were dismissed for 181.
Dean Robinson scored 122 and Jack Major took 5-15 as North Runcton moved up to third with a comprehensive 126 run win over Horsford B while Rob Thurley (123) was the star for Old Buckenham as they went fourth by beating Acle.
A century from Nick Bond was the highlight as Cromer A beat Lowestoft A by 95 runs in Division Five at the Norton Warnes Ground.
Bond made 117 and Ronnie Harwood 36 not out to help the home side get up to 295-9 from their 45 overs and it proved enough to secure the win, with Lowestoft finishing on 202-9 as No 8 Charlie Duckmanton made a brave 75.
Cromer A visit Bradenham A on Saturday.