Two wins in four days for Cromer

AFTER two weeks without a game, Anglian Combination champions-elect Cromer returned to action with two home victories in four days.

On Saturday they beat Hempnall, and in Tuesday night's home derby they beat Sheringham, both by 3-0.

Cromer Town 3, Hempnall 0

Another crucial three points for Cromer as they look to close in on Sterry Cup glory, writes Richard Cox.

There was one change to the side with Landamore returning to the midfield after injury.

Play was even in the early stages with neither defences being troubled, but after 19 minutes Cromer took the lead.

Most Read

Harwood played the ball wide to Wilton, who beat two defenders with some excellent skill and then pulled the ball back for Landamore, whose first-time effort found the back of the net via a slight deflection.

The league leaders then took control of the game.

A good corner from Hinton found Darren Terrington at the near post, whose header was cleared off the line. The Cromer front two again linked up well when Terrington flicked the ball on to Hinton, who was through one-on-one with Cudden. But Hinton fired straight at the Hempnall goalkeeper.

Just after half-time Cromer doubled their lead.

Hinton delivered a teasing cross into the box and Wilton nipped in front of his marker to get a touch and guide the ball into the goal.

Shortly after this Hempnall thought they'd pulled a goal back when a long throw into the box found its way into the back of the net. The question was whether there had been a touch on the ball by the Cromer goalkeeper before it crossed the line.

After discussion between the referee and his assistant they decide no one had touched the ball, so no goal was awarded. This seemed to be a let-off for the Crabs.

In the 50th minute Cromer grabbed their third. Harwood delivered the ball to the back post and Bradshaw headed back across to Darren Terrington, who finished from close range.

Despite there still being 40 minutes remaining the Crabs were able to see out the game with ease.

Wilton's skill again caused problems down the right. He crossed into the box where he found Craig Terrington, whose diving header was saved by Cudden. Wilton was again the provider, picking out Darren Terrington, who also had his header saved.