Tough lesson for Cromer Town

Cromer Town 3, Beccles Town 3

AFTER last weeks convincing display at Spixworth the Crabs looked to continue their good form at home to Beccles on Saturday. Davies, Horton. Terrington, Pipe and Atterton all returned to the squad, but Osborne was missing due to illness.

Cromer made an excellent start taking an early lead. The ball fumbled through to Hinton who turned towards goal and finished smartly into the opposite corner. The hosts continued to have a lot of the ball. The front two of Terrington and Hinton linked up well and ended with Terrington forcing a good save from Cable.

The visitors then had a couple of chances of their own. The ball made its way through to Remblance but he fired straight at stand in keeper Mace. Remblance was again the only threat. This time he skilfully beat Harwood before dragging his effort just wide.

Just before half-time Cromer came close to extending their lead. Harwood forced a good diving save from Cable with his strike from a 25 yard free kick. Wilton then crossed to Bugdale whose header was easily saved and Wilton was then off target after linking up well with Terrington.

Moments into the second half the Crabs made it 2-0. The ball was played to Wilton who looked marginally offside but the flag stayed down and he rounded the keeper and coolly slid the ball into the empty net. Cromer were in a completely dominant position. Hinton's cross deflected to the feet of Terrington whose close range effort was saved thanks to some sharp reactions from Cable.

On 65 minutes the Crabs grabbed a third which surely secured victory. Hinton broke quickly from his own half and beat his man before crossing to Terrington who headed home.

Most Read

After the third goal Cromer seemed comfortable in possession and they would have cruised to victory if the game only last 80 minutes. But Cromer had a shocking final 10 minutes and the whole team seemed to switch off thinking the job was done.

Beccles had three attacks in the closing minutes and they scored with each. The first goal came when the Crabs defence failed to clear their lines and the ball was given away on the left and the resulting cross saw Remblance volley home from close range. Their second had a massive slice of luck. Martin's shot was going out for a corner before a huge deflection off Harwood saw it sail into the bottom corner. They equalised when again the Crabs defence was weak and allowed Remblance in behind before coolly slotting beyond Mace.

Cromer need to remember that the game lasts 90 minutes because as it showed last year chucking away points can cost you. Hopefully the players don't forget the stern words of Chris Wigger after the game and they won't let that kind of lead slip again.