Top young runners take part in Cross Country race at Gresham’s School in Holt
North Norfolk hosted one of the largest school sports events to ever be held in the county this week.
Monday saw Day two of the 2016 Norfolk School Cross Country Games Winter Finals take place at Gresham's School in Holt. The second day of the Games saw over 600 young runners take part in the Yr 3-6 cross country finals.
Each of the participants had qualified to represent their local School Sports Partnership (SSP) by taking part in a prior qualifying competition. Each SSP team included 80 runners made up of 10 boys and girls from each of years 3/4/5/6.
The conditions were blustery throughout the day, but the sun did show itself in time for the first race of the event.
Pupils were given the chance to walk the courses prior to the first race to familiarise themselves with the route and also get used to the conditions.
You may also want to watch:
Each of the races was extremely exciting with runners setting off at a blistering pace with pupils trying to keep up the speed for as long as possible. Runners were cheered on by hundreds of spectators who had come to watch the top young runners in the country compete.
The event was supported by sports leaders from Alderman Peel High School, who acted as marshals to help guide runners around the course.
- 1 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 4 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 5 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 8 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 9 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 10 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
The full results are available online at: www.norfolkschoolgames.co.uk