Tennis players have a ball

CROMER Lawn Tennis and Squash Association's 100-year-old grass courts were transformed on Saturday evening when 320 members, former members and their guests brought the club's centenary celebrations to a spectacular conclusion with a glittering black tie ball held in a specially erected marquee.

CROMER Lawn Tennis and Squash Association's 100-year-old grass courts were transformed on Saturday evening when 320 members, former members and their guests brought the club's centenary celebrations to a spectacular conclusion with a glittering black tie ball held in a specially erected marquee.

The courts, which were first used in 1908 and subsequently bought for the town by the then Cromer Urban Council in 1935 for £1,250, have been graced by some famous players over the years but never can so many people have taken to the courts at the same time as guests enjoyed a superb meal masterminded by top local chef and club member, Henri Paul, followed by dancing to the Lee Vasey Band.

Club chairman, Nick Amis, who is one of the club's longest serving members, having joined as a boy some 55 years ago, welcomed everybody and paid tribute to the band of willing members who had worked tirelessly over virtually a 12-month period to ensure that the ball in particular and the centenary celebrations in general were something to be remembered.

In August, 1908 the Cromer Post reported: “The Cromer Lawn Tennis Club brought their first annual tournament to a successful conclusion on Saturday. There was a large attendance at the finals...

“Though the courts were only completed by the end of April, they were in excellent condition, both as regards surface and appointments.”