Team's tough baptism
Exiles 7, North Walsham IV 3Saturday saw the first match of the season for the newly-formed North Walsham Hockey Club's IV team. It was always going to be a challenging match against an experienced opposition but NW produced some good passing hockey.
Exiles 7, North Walsham IV 3
Saturday saw the first match of the season for the newly-formed North Walsham Hockey Club's IV team.
It was always going to be a challenging match against an experienced opposition but NW produced some good passing hockey.
Pleasing debuts were made by John Gardiner, Alex Paterson and Dale Bartram outfield with keeper Reis Khalil, 14, making spectacular saves.
Exiles applied pressure from the start but the NW defence held steady, with good team play allowing Jonny Mills to score the first goal. Exiles quickly equalised from a short corner but NW's second goal took everyone by surprise - a subtle shot from Richard West.
Down to 10 men due to injury, NW quickly reorganised. Toby Meaney took the ball out of the air on the goal line to leave the score 2-1 to NW at half-time.
- 1 Woman says symptom diary could 'save lives' after wait for cancer diagnosis
- 2 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 3 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 4 Barriers could block mountain bikes from north Norfolk beauty spot
- 5 People to get booster jabs sooner - but not at walk-in centres
- 6 'We were braced for cancellations' - Hotel bosses on emergence of Omicron
- 7 Plans submitted to transform soft play area to restaurant
- 8 Bereaved families' anger at No 10 staff video joking over Christmas party
- 9 Plan for new public loos in north Norfolk get £500,000 boost
- 10 The village in the path of controversial wind farm cable
The second half mostly saw NW reacting to play, with Exiles using their full squad effectively to control the game, scoring six more goals. NW still made quick breaks and Jonny Mills scored from a short corner.
Walsham can take heart from their first-half display and look forward to the first league game in two weeks.