Table tennis league all set for season
THE 47th season of the North Norfolk Table Tennis League kicks off this week. The league is pleased to again be sponsored by Star Paving Services, with Dave Dewberry recently presenting a cheque to league chairman Chris Pooley.
Following the tragic death of Ace's captain Geoff Long during a match last year, Cromer has lost a team but all of the other teams from last year return as the two teams from Cromer are joined by five from North Walsham (Delta again playing at Antingham Village Hall), four from Trunch, three from Hunworth, two from Gimingham and Gresham's School.
All matches at the latter will again be played at their home venue, however this year if Gresham's team is comprised of adults only they will be happy to play away and notify teams accordingly. (Gresham's School matches will start at 7pm, all North Walsham matches at 7.45pm with a 7.30pm start elsewhere). There are eight teams in the first division and nine in the second this season with promoted Delta and Pirates joining Specials, Outlaws, Sharks, Dolphins, Alpha and Cobras in the first division and relegated Beta and Seals taking their place in the second division alongside Backhanders, Echoes, Poachers, Gresham School, Goblins, Barracudas and Crosscourts.
The league itself commences on September 27, but as usual the action begins with the two Knockout Cups. With 17 teams in the mix, one has to miss out on a place in the last 16 and hence one preliminary round game has to take place in each competition. Those matches take place this week and in the doubles Crosscourts host Delta while the preliminary fixture in the Knockout Singles is a derby match between Barracudas and Sharks. Specials look set to lock horns with Outlaws at the quarter-final stage of both cups.
Knockout Singles Cup first round draw: Goblins v Outlaws, Specials v Poachers, Gresham School v Seals, Cobras v Sharks/Barracudas, Crosscourts v Beta, Pirates v Dolphins, Backhanders v Echoes, Delta v Alpha.
You may also want to watch:
Matches take place w/c September 20.
Knockout Doubles Cup first round draw: Dolphins v Poachers, Gresham School v Backhanders, Specials v Beta, Outlaws v Cobras, Pirates v Seals, Echoes v Delta/Crosscourts, Sharks v Alpha, Barracudas v Goblins.
- 1 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 2 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 3 Joy as town's beer and gin festival set to return
- 4 From Bradley Walsh to a charity bed push - hospital's history told in new wall feature
- 5 Canal restoration resumes as lockdown winds up
- 6 Magnet fishermen catch a stolen moped in broad
- 7 Family's bid to fund 'life-changing' operation for brave Kaiden, eight
- 8 Cafe reveals exciting revamp as town gets ready to reopen
- 9 Lib Dems pick new leader for Norfolk County Council group
- 10 Shock as public toilets torched FOUR times
Matches take place w/c September 13.