Table tennis: Doubles Final will be between NWSCE and Gresham’s A
- Credit: PA
The first semi-final of the Star Paving Services Handicap Doubles Cup saw Aylsham Enterprise's Andrew Gale (25), Daniel Atkins (26) and Ray Gale (26) host NWSCE's Andrew Weston (37), Ben Lester (35) and James Lester (29).
NWSCE won the first two battles 51-46 and 51-42 but the hosts levelled with a 51-49 win followed by another close 51-47 victory.
Weston and Ben Lester then beat the Gales 51-49 before the Lesters moved the visitors one win from the final with a 51-45 win against Atkins and Andrew Gale. Weston and Ben Lester had a chance to close out the win in the seventh battle but Atkins and Ray Gale won the golden point to keep Enterprise in contention and the drama increased as Atkins and Andrew Gale forced a decisive ninth encounter with a 51-41 victory against Weston and James Lester.
The decider pitted the Lesters (32) against the Gales (25) and it was the Lesters who won by the margin of their seven point handicap to seal NWSCE's 5-4 win.
The second semi-final pitted both Gresham's School teams against each other as the A's Robin Thaxter (0), Haken Bennell (5) and Colin Humphries (25) battled the B's Jonas Lee (0), Georgy Bezarashvilli (37) and Brian Lee (28). A 51-50 golden point win for Thaxter and Bennell against Bezarashvilli and Jonas Lee gave Gresham's A a 3-0 lead and although Gresham's B pulled them back to 3-2, Bennell and Humphries' 51-44 win against Bezarashvilli and Jonas Lee sealed Gresham's A's 5-2 win.
You may also want to watch:
A different Gresham's School B trio of Steve Price, Ian Darricott and Seamus Chambers were in action in the First Division as they visited a Mundesley B team where Gudrun Scham and Sarah Tudhope were both playing up as they joined Thomas Rooke. Price beat Scham in four who was also beaten 11-5, 19-17, 11-6 by Chambers. Gresham's won all the remaining singles with no sets dropped, however Scham and Tudhope picked up a great win in the doubles as they beat Price and Darricott 11-7, 11-7, 11-8 to take some consolation,
Backhanders' Teucer Wilson, Whil De Neve and Paul Warner finished their season in the Premier Division on Easter Monday as they hosted NWSCD's Stuart Hook and the Phils Mole and Stone. Hook and Stone took a good doubles win 13-11 in the third against Wilson and De Neve, but Backhanders won the match 8-2.
- 1 New Sunday market to feature street food, music and crafters
- 2 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 3 Delight at housing association seals award for affordable homes
- 4 Buses converted into Covid testing units ahead of expected third wave
- 5 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 6 Lifeboat rescues speedboat crew run aground in strong winds
- 7 Man guilty of manslaughter after fatal stabbing over £10 drug debt
- 8 Town's Covid 'heroes' honoured with certificates
- 9 Climate and planning among new councillors' priorities
- 10 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle