Sweet revenge as Crabs beat Wroxham rivals

Cromer Town 3, Wroxham Reserves 2

AFTER an even game the Crabs extended their lead at the top of the Anglian Combination Premier Division to four points, mainly thanks to a fine performance from Aaron Osborne in the Cromer goal.

The Crabs had been beaten by their opposition earlier in the season so were looking to avenge that defeat.

There were two changes to the side with Davies coming in for the injured Cameron and Hinton for Durrant (unavailable), writes Richard Cox.

Cromer started brightly but didn't create any early chances and the first effort at goal saw Eastaugh head over from 10 yards.

The hosts did take the lead on 16 minutes when the ball was played to Terrington. He let the ball run through to Landamore who took a touch before coolly shooting the ball past Hewitt.

Most Read

Both teams were then battling for the upper hand with neither team threatening the opposition goal.

It wasn't until the 38th minutes that the visitors equalised.

The ball ran through to Winter who then finished smartly lifting the ball over Osborne.

Cromer managed to regain the lead before the break. The ball went wide to Wilton who then cut into the box before being brought down by the defender and from the resulting penalty Harwood sent Hewitt the wrong way.

Wroxham started the second half well and put the Crabs' defence under pressure and the visitors drew level just before the hour mark.

The defence was deep and stood off King whose cross/shot went into the far corner of the goal.

The visitors looked like taking the lead against a slightly on edge Cromer defensive line. Winter broke through the centre but was denied by an alert Osborne who was out quickly to save.

Seconds later on almost identically situation once again this again saw Osborne out sharply to dive at the strikers' feet and he pushed the ball out for a corner but, much to the dismay of both sets of players and dug-outs, the referee had awarded a penalty.

He judged Osborne had brought down the attacker with no contact on the ball.

It seemed that once the penalty had been given that Osborne would probably see red but thankfully he was only cautioned.

Justice was served though as Osborne saved Winter's penalty.

Cromer took advantage of the penalty save and regained the lead. Wilton ran down the right wing before crossing superbly to Terrington, who headed into the bottom right corner.

In the 82nd minute Wroxham had one final chance to get something from the game but Osborne was again proving difficult to beat as he dived to keep out a header from close range.

Cromer ended the game 3-2 victors, gaining revenge for the defeat earlier in the season.