Special day on beach planned
A special surfing and beach sports day is happening on Cromer beach on Saturday to introduce youngsters with disabilities to surfing.The SurfAble project has been operating in Devon for the last two years and this year the charity is touring the UK to deliver one-day events.
A special surfing and beach sports day is happening on Cromer beach on Saturday to introduce youngsters with disabilities to surfing.
The SurfAble project has been operating in Devon for the last two years and this year the charity is touring the UK to deliver one-day events. The project also supports a country-wide network of surf schools, which in turn provide disabled children and young adults with on-going lessons using specialist techniques and specially adapted buoyancy aids and tandem 12-foot soft surfboards.
'Our very first Norfolk SurfAble event will hit Cromer beach with a splash,' says Lis Leader, events director. Norfolk's Glide Surf School, a member of the SurfAble network, will host this inaugural event and introduce more than 30 local children with disabilities to surfing.
Owner of Glide, Ben Kewell said: 'Surfable is making a real difference to the lives of many disabled and disadvantaged young people in Norfolk. With the help of SurfAble, we're able to hold this fantastic one-day event, as well as to provide subsidised, affordable lessons for disabled children from all along the coast. For many of these kids, a trip to Devon or Cornwall may not be possible, so SurfAble's national network of schools provides opportunities much closer to home.'
For more information on how you might participate, volunteer or support the Cromer SurfAble event, please contact Ellen Vanlint, active Norfolk's disability sports development officer on 01603 697008 email@example.com
- 1 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 2 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 3 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 4 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
- 5 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 6 'Long-awaited in the area' - New Norfolk deli celebrates local produce
- 7 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 8 North Walsham 'Live Aid' legend calls it a day after 17 years
- 9 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 10 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer