Special day on beach planned
A special surfing and beach sports day is happening on Cromer beach on Saturday to introduce youngsters with disabilities to surfing.The SurfAble project has been operating in Devon for the last two years and this year the charity is touring the UK to deliver one-day events.
A special surfing and beach sports day is happening on Cromer beach on Saturday to introduce youngsters with disabilities to surfing.
The SurfAble project has been operating in Devon for the last two years and this year the charity is touring the UK to deliver one-day events. The project also supports a country-wide network of surf schools, which in turn provide disabled children and young adults with on-going lessons using specialist techniques and specially adapted buoyancy aids and tandem 12-foot soft surfboards.
'Our very first Norfolk SurfAble event will hit Cromer beach with a splash,' says Lis Leader, events director. Norfolk's Glide Surf School, a member of the SurfAble network, will host this inaugural event and introduce more than 30 local children with disabilities to surfing.
Owner of Glide, Ben Kewell said: 'Surfable is making a real difference to the lives of many disabled and disadvantaged young people in Norfolk. With the help of SurfAble, we're able to hold this fantastic one-day event, as well as to provide subsidised, affordable lessons for disabled children from all along the coast. For many of these kids, a trip to Devon or Cornwall may not be possible, so SurfAble's national network of schools provides opportunities much closer to home.'
You may also want to watch:
For more information on how you might participate, volunteer or support the Cromer SurfAble event, please contact Ellen Vanlint, active Norfolk's disability sports development officer on 01603 697008 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 2 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 3 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 6 Stunning north Norfolk images shared to mark Norfolk Day
- 7 Classic Ibiza setlist for Blickling Estate revealed
- 8 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 9 Dog boutique to celebrate second birthday with treats for pooches
- 10 Driver, 21, left paralysed after crashing into tree, court told