Sheringham left to fly flag in Norfolk Senior Cup after Aylsham’s agonising near miss
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Aylsham gave an excellent account of themselves in Saturday's Norfolk Senior Cup tie at Great Yarmouth Town before bowing out after extra-time.
Playing a side from the top flight of the Thurlow Nunn League, Aylsham went 2-0 up at the Wellesley before eventually losing 3-2.
Two goals from Matt Billing had the Anglian Combination Division One side in dreamland before Mitch Forbes and an own goal put the Bloaters back on level terms and Chaz McAra netted the winner.
Sheringham ensured the region would be represented in Friday evening's third round draw when they maintained their superb start to the season by winning 2-1 at UEA thanks to goals from Chris Fuller and Shane Cox.
In Division One the only league game saw Hoveton Wherrymen move up to second in the table with a 4-0 win over basement side Cromer. The home side's goals came via a hat-trick from Lawrence Hare and a Hayden Cunningham effort.
You may also want to watch:
The Crabs had gone into the game boosted by a spirited showing against Attleborough at Cabbell Park the previous week, with the visitors only sealing a 3-1 win in the dying minutes.
Saturday's defeat was Cromer's seven straight loss this season in league and cup - but at least it wasn't a humiliating one and the search for an elusive win continues on Saturday when they play host to Scole United (2pm).
- 1 Converted bungalow with 'wonderful' woodland views for sale
- 2 'We sold one book' - Bookshop owners on a year of highs and lows
- 3 'Anything is possible': 21-year-old uses lockdown to launch business
- 4 £2m for 62 new homes as council boss calls residential care a 'last resort'
- 5 Housing bid blocked over foul sewage fears
- 6 Craft exhibition moves after losing its home to new bakery
- 7 Full steam ahead for the Marsham Show 2021, say organisiers
- 8 Memorial to victims of Covid-19 unveiled
- 9 All-terrain wheelchairs come to north Norfolk beaches
- 10 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
Elsewhere in Division One North Walsham entertain Hindringham on Friday evening (7.30pm) while Sheringham and Aylsham have tough games at Hoveton Wherrymen and Wymondham Town respectively.
Mulbarton Wanderers produced the shock of the day in the second round of the Senior Cup when they knocked out 2014 winners Gorleston.
The match between sides from the top flights of the Anglian Combination and the Thurlow Nunn League saw Wanderers prevail 4-2 on penalties after the tie at Mulberry Park had ended 2-2 after extra-time.
The hosts had gone 2-0 up early in the second half (Eliot Altay and John Curtis), only for the Greens to level with goals from Connor Ingram and Jack Garrod.
Another surprise saw Combination Premier Division Acle going down 2-1 at home to Wymondham Town from Division One (Liam Moriarty, Aaron Nixon).