Sheringham FC left to concentrate on league

Sheringham's mini revival under returning boss John Kowalyk came to an abrupt halt on Saturday when they suffered a heavy defeat in the third round of the Senior Cup.

The Shannocks had been unbeaten in three matches going into the tie at Anglian Combination First Division outfit Caister and harboured realistic hopes of joining the county's biggest clubs in the next round.

But they were unable to follow up their replay success at Hempnall as they crashed to a 5-2 defeat, with Ben Price and Matt Edgar scoring the consolation goals. The marksmen for Caister, who were 4-1 ahead at the break, were Danny Heller (2), Garrett Ward (2) and Kieran Hack.

Sheringham can now concentrate all their efforts on league survival and they still have something to build on, having won their previous Premier Division encounter against Loddon. They also climbed off the bottom of the table at the weekend as North Walsham slipped below them on goal difference and will now be aiming to move out of the bottom three on Saturday when they make a quick return visit to Hempnall.

The Angels dropped a place after losing for the seventh time in eight league matches. Hosts Mattishall were too strong for the Walsham youngsters, winning 5-0 thanks to goals from Jake Anema (2), Duncan Hewitt (2) and George Gagen.

That made it two reverses in the space five days for the Angels, who had been beaten 4-1 under the Greens Road floodlights the previous Tuesday evening with Connor Kerry getting the consolation goal.

In Division One Aylsham missed the chance to go top when they lost 3-2 at home to leaders Corton. Aylsham's goals came from Matthew Hall and Dale Gedge. It was only a second league defeat of the season for Martin Meek's side, who will be attempting to bounce back when they travel to Bradenham on Saturday.

Most Read

Holt slipped to a third straight home defeat when they lost 1-0 to third placed Long Stratton, for whom Andy Clitheroe scored the only goal.

The Owls have have hit a rough patch due to injured players. This week they were without Kevin Moore, James Wright and Sam Morgan.

The hosts started off brightly and the midfield of Nick Bond, Luke Williamson and Chris English did well. Chris Fuller was unlucky when he was put through one on one with the keeper who made a sprawling save. Matt Hudson did a great job keeping a eye on the dangerous Sam Page, minimising their main threat.

Holt came out in the second half a bit flat and when Chris Fuller fouled a Stratton player in an unthreatening position the cross to the far post was put in by Clitheroe. This woke up Holt as they enjoyed most of the possession the rest of the match.

Hudson was switched from left back into left midfield and he proved to be too much for the Stratton right back. In the 80th minute Hudson was brought down in the box and a penalty was given but Matt Sanders' spot-kick was saved. Holt continued to attack and were unlucky to not come away with a result.

Hudson was Holt's man of the match. He joined from Hindringham and has been one of the team's best players this season.

The Owls travel to bottom side Hellesdon on Saturday.