Shannocks seek payback

The focus of attention on Saturday will be on Dolphin Autos Anglian Combination Premier Sheringham's chances of causing a major Norfolk Senior Cup upset at Aldiss Park.

The focus of attention on Saturday will be on Dolphin Autos Anglian Combination Premier Sheringham's chances of causing a major Norfolk Senior Cup upset at Aldiss Park.

It's at this arena the Shannocks meet Ridgeons Premier Dereham Town for yet another Norfolk Senior Cup clash. And manager John Kowalyk is still smarting from last season's semi-final when they were 2-0 in front before the referee sent off a Sheringham player for alleged handball on the line.

Dereham netted that 38th minute penalty and Kowalyk's 10 men finally succumbed 4-2 and were out of the tournament.

“We are still pretty bitter over the result,” declared Kowalyk this week. “And we are keener than ever to have another crack at the Ridgeons League outfit and gain our revenge.

“We've been carrying a few injuries in recent games, but whatever team we put out the players will be giving 100p per cent while hoping to avenge last season's unjust exit from the tournament.”

Terry Beane must be considering the merits if any of continuing his unenviable task of managing the Combination's representative side after Saturday's grim surrender to the Midland Combination in the third round of the FA NLS Cup tournament staged at Trafford Park, Wroxham, watched by no more than 100 half-interested fans.

Most Read

The 4-0 defeat for Beane's men was described as “very disappointing” by the manager. Indeed it was a result that left few of Beane's players with any credit after conceding two penalties as well as a red card.

“We had a couple of key players missing because of injuries the previous Saturday, but by and large we were not quite up to the task in a game where a fussy referee certainly had some influence on the result,” declared Beane.

After a flurry of early yellow cards the visitors won a penalty when Smith was brought down by Nee. Elliott Nash beat Corston from the spot and by the break Darren Coles had made it two.

Neil Prior was dismissed for a second caution soon after the interval and Scott Oliver added to the score with his team's second penalty with Smith hitting the fourth just before the end.

Beane concluded: “This was not a true Anglian Combination representative side because some of our top players in the Wroxham Reserves squad are below the 18 years qualifying age. Given half a chance I would have selected a number of these lads, but the rules state they could not qualify and the team suffered because of that.”

At domestic level Wroxham Reserves championship cause was assisted by Sprowston Athletic who took all three points off challengers Hempnall. North Walsham gained a welcome point by holding Halvergate to a 1-1 (Maxey) draw.

In Division One, Holt remain well in contention for promotion after beating Wymondham Town 2-0 (Edwards, Sanders) leaving the Owls just two points off leaders Dereham Reserves who have played three games more.

In Division Two, Reepham shared two goals with Poringland and the game between Aylsham Wanderers and St Johns was goalless.

In Division Six, Hoveton Wherrymen appear to be sailing towards promotion for they are now up to fourth spot following a 4-2 win over Hellesdon Reserves. Allowing for games in hand, only Gorleston Reserves have a better record.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter