Runton United are well beaten in Carrow Road showpiece
- Credit: Archant
Runton United's big night at Carrow Road didn't go to plan on Tuesday as they were beaten 4-0 by University of East Anglia in the final of the Norfolk Junior Cup.
Goals from Ben Anderson, Mohammed Hassan and a double from Owen Betts saw the impressive students brush the North East Norfolk League champions aside in front of a crowd of more than 900.
Runton made a positive start with a wonderful set-piece towards Liam Davies who glanced his header over the bar while George Crane almost convertedfrom inside the area.
However it was UEA who broke the deadlock in the 13th minute as Hassan latched onto a through ball, weaving past a defender and drawing in Runton goalkeeper Grant Youngs who brought the striker down. Betts stepped up and sent Youngs the wrong way to give UEA the lead.
It took just nine minutes for UEA to double their lead. Great work down the left hand side from Anderson saw him beat two defenders before squaring his cross to Hassan who side-footed home.
You may also want to watch:
Runton tried to find a way back in the game before half-time but UEA's quality shone as they almost executed a perfect counter-attack with Hassan being played through but the forward dragged his shot widet.
The second half saw UEA start as positively as they did in the first. Hassan's wicked free-kick found defender Dan Corner who flicked his header towards goal, grazing the top of the crossbar.
- 1 How a now quiet North Norfolk village was once a bustling European port
- 2 How a north Norfolk holiday hotspot was before tourists
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Special report: Future of Holt Hall hangs in balance ahead of recommendation to close it
- 5 Christmas arrives in Cromer with fantastic lights display
- 6 Street’s Christmas lights switched on early to “brighten things up”
- 7 Davies, Blogg, Sadler and Shipp - Local families inspire school’s new house system
- 8 People released from car after crash closes road
- 9 Friends of Holt Hall urge public to sign petition after consultation snub
- 10 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
Despite Runton's best efforts, UEA's control in the centre of the pitch prevented too many attacks and got their reward as the tricky Anderson was brought down in the area. Betts stepped up once again however Youngs brilliantly got down to his left to palm his effort away.
The tempo began to slow down and in the 87th minute UEA capitalised on a poor piece of defending, with Anderson finishing off a fine passing move to extend their lead.
The students then grabbed their fourth in stoppage time as Betts notched his second with an acrobatic finish from Youngs' initial save.
Runton United: Grant Youngs, Michael Thompson, Philip Sands, Liam Davies, Jamie Nelson, Tony Edwards, Ben Sharman (C), George Crane, Lewis Smith, James Wright, Michael Bentley.
Subs: Aaron Sands, Shaun Steed, Billy Edwards, Tom Graver, Jordan Davies.
UEA: Tom Caldon, Jack Cracknell, Ben George, Dylan Knowling, Owen French (C), John Kahodi, Owen Betts, Mark Allen, Mohammed Hassan, Alfie Draper, Ben Anderson.
Subs: Matt Knowles, Tom McLeod, Will Oxborough, Dan Corner, Josh Hoare.