Runton United are well beaten in Carrow Road showpiece
- Credit: Archant
Runton United's big night at Carrow Road didn't go to plan on Tuesday as they were beaten 4-0 by University of East Anglia in the final of the Norfolk Junior Cup.
Goals from Ben Anderson, Mohammed Hassan and a double from Owen Betts saw the impressive students brush the North East Norfolk League champions aside in front of a crowd of more than 900.
Runton made a positive start with a wonderful set-piece towards Liam Davies who glanced his header over the bar while George Crane almost convertedfrom inside the area.
However it was UEA who broke the deadlock in the 13th minute as Hassan latched onto a through ball, weaving past a defender and drawing in Runton goalkeeper Grant Youngs who brought the striker down. Betts stepped up and sent Youngs the wrong way to give UEA the lead.
It took just nine minutes for UEA to double their lead. Great work down the left hand side from Anderson saw him beat two defenders before squaring his cross to Hassan who side-footed home.
Runton tried to find a way back in the game before half-time but UEA's quality shone as they almost executed a perfect counter-attack with Hassan being played through but the forward dragged his shot widet.
The second half saw UEA start as positively as they did in the first. Hassan's wicked free-kick found defender Dan Corner who flicked his header towards goal, grazing the top of the crossbar.
- 1 Woman says symptom diary could 'save lives' after wait for cancer diagnosis
- 2 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 3 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 4 Barriers could block mountain bikes from north Norfolk beauty spot
- 5 People to get booster jabs sooner - but not at walk-in centres
- 6 'We were braced for cancellations' - Hotel bosses on emergence of Omicron
- 7 Plans submitted to transform soft play area to restaurant
- 8 Bereaved families' anger at No 10 staff video joking over Christmas party
- 9 Plan for new public loos in north Norfolk get £500,000 boost
- 10 The village in the path of controversial wind farm cable
Despite Runton's best efforts, UEA's control in the centre of the pitch prevented too many attacks and got their reward as the tricky Anderson was brought down in the area. Betts stepped up once again however Youngs brilliantly got down to his left to palm his effort away.
The tempo began to slow down and in the 87th minute UEA capitalised on a poor piece of defending, with Anderson finishing off a fine passing move to extend their lead.
The students then grabbed their fourth in stoppage time as Betts notched his second with an acrobatic finish from Youngs' initial save.
Runton United: Grant Youngs, Michael Thompson, Philip Sands, Liam Davies, Jamie Nelson, Tony Edwards, Ben Sharman (C), George Crane, Lewis Smith, James Wright, Michael Bentley.
Subs: Aaron Sands, Shaun Steed, Billy Edwards, Tom Graver, Jordan Davies.
UEA: Tom Caldon, Jack Cracknell, Ben George, Dylan Knowling, Owen French (C), John Kahodi, Owen Betts, Mark Allen, Mohammed Hassan, Alfie Draper, Ben Anderson.
Subs: Matt Knowles, Tom McLeod, Will Oxborough, Dan Corner, Josh Hoare.