Runton march on in Norfolk Junior Cup after shoot-out success

Trimingham Pilgrims' scorer and skipper Jack Crane. Picture: Charlotte Crane

Trimingham Pilgrims' scorer and skipper Jack Crane. Picture: Charlotte Crane - Credit: Archant

Runton United will fly the flag in round four of the Norfolk Junior Cup after the Walcott Lighthouse Inn League side beat visitors Heacham in the third round.

It was a close run thing thing, however, with last year's beaten finalists needing extra-time and penalties before they could advance into the next round.

The tie ended 2-2 after extra-time and Runton took the tie by virtue of a 4-1 shoot-out success.

Gimingham went out 4-1 away at Dussindale and East Ruston who, having made the very long journey to Downham Market Reserves and quickly found themselves several goals down, did steady the ship before the end despite losing 6-0.

Cromer Youth Old Boys' Euan Neave scored twice and Joseph Leah added a third for the team when they visited Aylsham A to complete a 3-1 scoreline with Travis Whitlam netting for the hosts.

Southrepps entertained Erpingham and won 5-3, on target for Southrepps were Martin Hall (3), Aedan Robinson and Shaun Stephens with Sam Gun, James Rice and Adam Bullock replying for the visitors.

There was a seven-goal thriller at North Walsham A where Haisboro Athletic were the visitors and it was they who won by the odd goal.

Most Read

Hickling scored seven times without reply at home to Holt Colts whilst Holt Reserves ran out 6-0 winners over visitors Gimingham Reserves.

In the Norwich Sunday League Trimingham Pilgrims visited Farmhouse, who had lost their previous seven matches, and gave probably their worst ever performance.

Farmhouse created a host of early chances and, had their strikers had their shooting boots on would have been five goals ahead by the mid point of the first half. Wayward shooting and a couple of fine saves from Leigh Brown kept the scores level.

Just before the break Pilgrims put together their best move of the match that was finished by Jack Crane who gave his side a surprise half-time lead.

The second half was a dour affair until Farmhouse equalised from the penalty spot. Pilgrims were still unable to up their game and things went from bad to worse when the home side found the net from open play to take a 2-1 lead. With no further goals Farmhouse picked up their first points of the season and put the seal on a very bad day for the visitors.