Running is a family affair
A prospect for the future, Thomas Jones, competed in the Disney Mile in Florida, finishing third in his age group and 54th overall in a race of 450. He took seven minutes to complete the distance, which was fantastic bearing in mind he is only seven.
A prospect for the future, Thomas Jones, competed in the Disney Mile in Florida, finishing third in his age group and 54th overall in a race of 450.
He took seven minutes to complete the distance, which was fantastic bearing in mind he is only seven. The St Nicholas House School pupil at North Walsham was competing against 430 children who were older, and a vast number of these were youth athletes from running clubs across the world.
Not to be outdone, his father Steve - a North Norfolk Beach Runner - competed with 14,913 runners in the Disney Marathon two days later.
Jones, a club veteran, was having his first outing at this distance and found the latter miles a real challenge. The early six-minute mile pace was hampered by the humidity and heat which affected the Europeans more than the South Americans who entered the race in greater numbers.
Jones crossed the line in 2-48:45 and was 30th overall. He was pleased he was the first Briton home and was seventh in his age category.
Following the race Jones also competed in a cross-country race at Reading as part of a police inter-county league. Even though the North Walsham athlete was running on tired legs he still managed to finish the six-mile course in 35 minutes to be placed second overall and first veteran.
- 1 School closed its doors for three days after Covid outbreak
- 2 Where and when you can park for free in north Norfolk this Christmas
- 3 Deer herds relocated as part of dinosaur attraction's expansion plans
- 4 Conservatives gain Lib Dem ward in double by-election victory
- 5 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 6 What's in a Broad? Delving beneath the surface of Norfolk's wonderful waterways
- 7 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
- 9 Obituary: Milkman who did the rounds for 40 years dies aged 81
- 10 Car and front doors opened overnight - but nothing stolen
The last race in the series takes place at Thetford where Jones will be competing in the deciding match in an attempt to win the overall series title.