Rugby double for top-form Holt
Cantabrigians 0, Holt 30Holt put in one of their best performances of the season to complete a rugby double over Cantabrigians in Eastern Counties Division One.
Cantabrigians 0, Holt 30
Holt put in one of their best performances of the season to complete a rugby double over Cantabrigians in Eastern Counties Division One.
The visitors opened their account within two minutes when Child scored following a typical driving maul. It was no surprise when Allen converted two penalty chances to increase the lead to 11-0 midway through the half.
Holt really had their tails up by now and following another well-directed cross-kick from Brown, Rumsby won the chase for the touch down, which Allen converted.
The constant pressure again paid off when Van Poortvliet broke from a maul close to the goal-line to score an unconverted try, giving his side a 23-0 half-time lead.
Holt started the second half on the attack but then had to show their defensive mettle as the hosts applied some pressure of their own.
- 1 Dog bans could be extended at north Norfolk parks
- 2 Bid to open glampsite in north Norfolk meadow
- 3 'A great escape' - How a Norfolk webcam helped a Canadian couple endure lockdown
- 4 Travelodge looking at nine sites for new hotels across Norfolk
- 5 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
- 6 New places for Mammoth Marathon to be released
- 7 Man charged with drink driving after crash into wall
- 8 5 TV shows and films shot in Norfolk getting released in 2022
- 9 Ice cream shop introduces vegan and dog options due to 'massive demand'
- 10 Three homes for sale in Norfolk village named one of the poshest in the UK
But midway through the half Holt managed to reach their opponents' five-metre line and, following a penalty award, Child scored his second try of the match. With Allen converting they now had a 30-point lead.
The rest of the match was contested mainly in the Holt half, where again their tackling was of the highest order to deny the home side of a score. A good cover tackle by Brown denied Cantabrigians what looked to be a certain try in the corner, keeping Holt's sheet clean.