Rugby double for top-form Holt
Cantabrigians 0, Holt 30Holt put in one of their best performances of the season to complete a rugby double over Cantabrigians in Eastern Counties Division One.
Cantabrigians 0, Holt 30
Holt put in one of their best performances of the season to complete a rugby double over Cantabrigians in Eastern Counties Division One.
The visitors opened their account within two minutes when Child scored following a typical driving maul. It was no surprise when Allen converted two penalty chances to increase the lead to 11-0 midway through the half.
Holt really had their tails up by now and following another well-directed cross-kick from Brown, Rumsby won the chase for the touch down, which Allen converted.
The constant pressure again paid off when Van Poortvliet broke from a maul close to the goal-line to score an unconverted try, giving his side a 23-0 half-time lead.
Holt started the second half on the attack but then had to show their defensive mettle as the hosts applied some pressure of their own.
- 1 Sainsbury's moves to quash rumour of till closures at Norfolk store
- 2 Village pub reopening after £200k refurbishment
- 3 Public toilets in north Norfolk 'swamped' by campervan waste
- 4 Banking counter to open after town's last branch closes
- 5 New chef brings taste of the Med to town cafe
- 6 Competition offers free week at Cromer beach chalet
- 7 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
- 8 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 9 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 10 Bird watchers set to flock to Norfolk quarry after rare bee-eaters spotted
But midway through the half Holt managed to reach their opponents' five-metre line and, following a penalty award, Child scored his second try of the match. With Allen converting they now had a 30-point lead.
The rest of the match was contested mainly in the Holt half, where again their tackling was of the highest order to deny the home side of a score. A good cover tackle by Brown denied Cantabrigians what looked to be a certain try in the corner, keeping Holt's sheet clean.