Rivals help Crabs’ cause by all losing

With the sides below them all losing, Cromer were sitting seven points clear at the end of the weekend.

But this Saturday they face a difficult test at Norwich St Johns.

Cromer Town 3, Kirkley & Pakefield Res 1

Cromer entertained Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves in the second successive home game.

There was one enforced change with Bugdale coming in for the absent Wenham, writes Richard Cox.

Most Read

The home side got off to the perfect start taking the lead after just five minutes. Harwood headed the ball down the line to Hinton who then ran at the defender before cutting into the box and squaring across goal to Hill who finished first time.

Cromer had another chance shortly after when the ball came across to Terrington who fired straight at Thacker in the Kirkley goal.

Cromer were fairly comfortable despite just a goal advantage and were only really in second gear. Thacker was called upon once again to push Terrington's effort round a post.

In the closing minutes of the half Cromer suddenly found themselves three goals clear. Their second came when Wilton broke quickly down the right; he then played the ball inside to Hinton who turned smartly into space before coolly slotting past Thacker.

And the final action of the half saw it go to 3-0. Wilton again threatened down the wing and he went to ground inside the box for what could be argued as a generous penalty decision. However Harwood stepped up and put the ball in the top right corner of the goal.

The Crabs had looked dangerous in small spells in the first half and made the most the opportunities they created.

Chances in the second half were few a fair between and the visitors rarely looked like forcing their way back into the game. On the hour mark Cromer thought they'd won a penalty but a free kick was instead given on the edge of the box.

From the resulting set-piece the ball was only half-cleared and came out to Hinton who put his shot just over the bar.

Davies then wasted a good chance when he was unmarked from eight yards but his header also sailed over.

Kirkley did grab a consolation when Davies brought down the attacker in the box. Highfield found the back of the net, despite Osborne getting a half a hand to the ball.

A pretty comfortable afternoon for Cromer, who didn't need to be at their best but were still able to come away with a fairly straightforward victory.