Owls' player breaks leg in derby defeat

Holt United 1, Cromer Town 3Cromer completed a quick Anglian Combination Premier Division derby double, following the previous week's 5-2 home league win over the Owls.

Holt United 1, Cromer Town 3

Cromer completed a quick Anglian Combination Premier Division derby double, following the previous week's 5-2 home league win over the Owls.

There was one negative to the Crabs' day. Ex-Owl Paul Winterbone was forced off in the first half after a collision with Holt's Toby Blowers.

After a trip to the hospital it was discovered that Winterbone had broken a bone in his lower leg.

Holt FC added their best wishes for a speedy recovery to those of the Cromer club.

Cromer's one change to their starting XI had been Winterbone replacing Dale Cooper.

Most Read

Holt knew they would have to play with much more commitment and desire if they wanted to get anything from the match. but with a easterly gale at their backs Cromer continued where they had left off the previous week, settled the better and Holt's defence under pressure from the start.

The ball ran through to Matthew Eves, who lobbed the ball over keeper Justyn Goff - but it ran wide.

On nine minutes the visitors took the lead. Eves ran into the box and the referee awarded a penalty after he judged that Medlar had brought the Cromer striker down. Harwood fired the spot-kick into the back of the net.

The home side's only response was a shot from Matthew Sanders that flew just wide.

Cromer continued to threaten. Liam Davies squared the ball to Darren Terrington whose mis-hit shot went to Eves, whose toe poke effort was saved by Goff.

On 32 minutes Cromer extended their lead. Jamie Hunton cut in from the right and crossed left footed to Terrington who brilliantly guided the ball into the bottom corner with his head. Goff then had to react well to keep out Harwood's over hit free-kick.

Holt then lost Chris English with an injury, another major loss as he has been one of the most consistent players this season.

The players missing through injury and suspensions is really beginning to hurt now.

Before half-time the Crabs made it 3-0. The Holt defender missed the ball and James Marsh got hold of the loose ball and closed in on goal before coolly slotting past Goff.

The Crabs' three-goal advantage forced Holt to change formation. They went two up front and started to play some better, more positive football.

With Chris Cude replacing James Medlar, Holt - with the elements now in their favour, soon pulled a goal back when, as he did the previous week, Luke Williamson scored past Parsons.

On 51 minutes the ball was played wide to Toby Blowers who squared it for Williamson to have a simple tap in.

Like Holt, Cromer were finding it hard work against the breeze and Holt were enjoying a spell of pressure.

On 70 minutes they very nearly pulled another goal back when Williamson released Blowers who saw his shot hit the side netting.

Cromer had a shout for a penalty turned down after Jason

Hawkins seemed to up-end Carrier in the box.

The last 20 minutes saw both sides struggle to play constructive football as the cold and windy conditions began to take their toll.

Holt described this as a deserved win for Cromer over an Owls side that did their best but will have to do better in the coming weeks as games against sides down at the bottom of the league fill the month of February.

Referee Mark Timmins and his assistants enjoyed good matches.

Holt United are in action tomorrow (Friday) night when they take on Hindringham (kick-off 7.30pm) at Holt Sports Centre.

Cromer have now scored 13 goals in the last three games. On Saturday they visit Watton United (ko 2.30pm).