Owls on learning curve
Holt United 0, Acle United 3Holt still have a way to go to match the stronger teams in the league. But as it is most of the players' first taste of Anglian Combination Premier Division football, this was to be expected.
Holt United 0, Acle United 3
Holt still have a way to go to match the stronger teams in the league. But as it is most of the players' first taste of Anglian Combination Premier Division football, this was to be expected. It gets no easier at the weekend when local rivals Sheringham are the visitors, kick off 2.30.
The Owls were forced to make one change from the team that had won in the Norfolk Senior Cup midweek (report on page 47) for Saturday's league match. Again key player Colm McGilway was missing, Matthew Hudson took his place.
With many injuries and suspensions, the size of the first team squad is beginning to be a real worry. A good sized crowd saw Acle have the better of the early exchanges. From a well-worked corner Thompson saw his fierce shot hit a post.
You may also want to watch:
Resolute defending by Gavin Neale, Matthew Jordan and James Medlar kept the eager visiting forwards at bay until the 42nd minute when Acle were awarded a penalty which Ben Morgan converted.
For much of the early stages second half, with the wing backs not pushing on, youngsters Toby Blowers and Hudson were left isolated. Midway through Acle went two up through Thompson.
- 1 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 4 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 7 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 8 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 9 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 10 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
The next 20 minutes saw Holt have their first sustained period of pressure. Stephen Thompson shot just over, then a great run from Blowers, who beat three defenders, ended with his shot hitting the bar and going over.
Kevin Moore was denied by Foreman in the Acle goal then with five minutes left Acle broke clear and scored a third goal.