Outlaws win KO Doubles
Star Paving Services North Norfolk Table Tennis LeagueThe third of this year's cup finals was the knockout doubles as the Backhanders team of Chris Marshall, Teucer Wilson and Rod Goffin took on an Outlaws trio fresh from winning the Knockout Singles Cup - John Hancock (Jnr), Colin Humphries and Jamie Craig.
Star Paving Services North Norfolk Table Tennis League
The third of this year's cup finals was the knockout doubles as the Backhanders team of Chris Marshall, Teucer Wilson and Rod Goffin took on an Outlaws trio fresh from winning the Knockout Singles Cup - John Hancock (Jnr), Colin Humphries and Jamie Craig.
The final took place on neutral ground at Gimingham Village Hall and was umpired by Chris Pooley.
You may also want to watch:
Hancock and Craig controlled the opener as they defeated Marshall and Goffin comfortably in straight. Wilson and Goffin then held their nerve to level with a tight four-set win against Humphries and Craig.
The third battle saw Marshall and Wilson take on Hancock and Humphries - the story of the final was that Hancock's overall play kept his team in control and he produced some good hitting here, but it was Humphries who hit two winners to end the straight sets victory.
- 1 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 2 New Sunday market to feature street food, music and crafters
- 3 Refusal recommended for firm's shipping container
- 4 Tributes paid to Lord Robert Walpole who has died aged 82
- 5 Princess Anne pays flying visit to historic Broads' boatyard
- 6 Own a piece of paradise: One acre willow plantation for sale
- 7 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 8 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 9 45,000 sign petition to save harbour railway
- 10 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
There were more errors that crept in from all players at the end of the fourth battle, but slightly fewer from Hancock and Craig who moved Outlaws 3-1 ahead.
And again the Outlaws were just too good for the Backhanders as stronger hitting from Hancock and Humphries moved their team one win away from the cup.
A 'cat and mouse' tussle between the pairings of Marshall and Wilson and Humphries and Craig saw the sixth and final encounter go the distance, but Humphries produced some cracking backhands to despatch the Backhanders in the fifth as Outlaws took the set 11-4 and hence the cup 5-1.
Knockout Doubles Cup - Backhanders 1, Outlaws 5.
Scores: Hancock/Craig beat Marshall/Goffin 11-5, 11-4, 11-7; Wilson/Goffin beat Humphries/Craig 11-13, 11-7, 11-3, 14-12; Hancock/Humphries beat Marshall/Wilson 11-8, 11-7, 11-6, Hancock/Craig beat Wilson/Goffin 11-7, 11-7, 11-8; Hancock/Humphries beat Marshall/Goffin 11-7, 11-7, 11-6; Humphries/Craig beat Marshall/Wilson 9-11, 11-8, 11-9, 7-11, 11-4.